Chapter 12- Breakfast and Brunch

Chapter 12

Lan Xichen couldn't find his shirt. He was sure he brought it to the laundromat with the rest of his clothes. He was aware of evil washing machines eating socks but a whole T-shirt? And it was his favorite shirt too, so it's too bad.

There was a knock on the door and Lan Xichen pulled out a random shirt from the closet and hastily put it on just before Jiang Cheng poked his head in.

"Hey, Wei Wuxian said he made breakfast."

"I'll be right behind you."

"Mhmm, you have your shirt inside out."

"Ah." Lan Xichen looked down and began to take it off.

Jiang Cheng felt his cheeks heat up and he yelled angrily, "Wait until I leave the room!" He quickly turned around and left. He felt embarrassed, he totally did not need to see Lan Xichen's abs at seven in the morning.

"I didn't know Wuxian could cook," Lan Xichen said as he and Jiang Cheng headed downstairs.

"It's edible," Jiang Cheng replied. They reached the kitchen and saw Lan Wangji was already there, sitting at the table with his usual stoic expression. And as for Wei Wuxian,

"Why are you wearing a cartoon chef hat?" Jiang Cheng asked bluntly.

"Actually, it's called a Toque hat," the omega corrected him, grinning in a way that just makes Jiang Cheng want to hit him.

"Yeah? Well, it looks ridiculous."

"How could you say that to my hat!" Wei Wuxian cried indignantly, "No one asks for your opinion!"

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes at him as he took a seat.

"Thank you for making breakfast today," Lan Xichen said to Wei Ying as he sat down next to Jiang Cheng. "This looks lovely." There were three different dishes on the table, with a big bowl of congee in the center.

"Of course!" Wei Wuxian chirped. "Praise me more, 'cause I truly did cook up a feast! Here, let me go through them for you; so over here, we got a giant bowl of spicy rice congee, some spicy scallion egg crepes, these are some fluffy pork buns, and here are some sticky rice rolls filled with veggies and pork floss... And lastly but most importantly, everything's drizzled with Grandma Sichuan's famous extra spicy hot chili oil!" Wei Wuxian finished proudly with a flourish.

"..."

"Not bad," Jiang Cheng commented. Lan Xichen gulped. "Wuxian... (why) Are they all spicy-?" he asked apprehensively.

"Yep!" Wei Wuxian beamed. "You know, I am so proud of myself for making all this, I got up at five in the morning today to make all this for us! And I usually wake up at one in the evening!"

"Ah... thank you so much, that's wonderful of you..." Lan Xichen's voice trailed off. He quickly took a glance at his brother and saw that the younger jade was staring into his bowl of hot and very spicy congee.

Lan Wangji picked up a spoon.

"Are you going to eat?" Jiang Cheng's voice tore his dumbfounded gaze away from his brother. Lan Xichen looked at the omega blankly. Jiang Cheng gestured at the food. Wei Wuxian was already happily eating and staring at everyone with shiny and anticipating eyes.

"... just deciding what I should eat first," The older jade quickly smiled at him.

"Mhm," Jiang Cheng watched him, secretly entertained. He already figured it out; that the Lan brothers were not big fans of spicy food. Jiang Cheng didn't mind watching them suffer. Jiang Cheng and Wei Wuxian shared a private glance.