Chapter 14- A seemingly simple lunch date

Chapter 14

"Soo, Lan Zhan, where are you taking me for lunch?"

Wei Wuxian asked as he bounced up the stair steps.

Lan Wangji's lips were sealed tight. "Boo... Not telling me? Fine, I can always go for a nice surprise," Wei Wuxian grinned. "I want to go somewhere that has a good spice challenge!"

"..."

"Or good wine!"

"..." Lan Wangji sighed. "After this."

"Yay! Okay," Wei Wuxian knocked on the door, "Fu Nainai, it's me and Lan Zhan, we are here to check in on you."

No one answered. Wei Wuxian was patient, the elderly can be very slow. But after two whole minutes passed, still no one answered the door. Wei Wuxian also didn't hear any sound or movement from the inside.

"Wei Ying," Lan Wangji said. The omega followed his gaze to the doorknob and realized the door was unlocked. The pair shared a brief glance before Wei Wuxian pushed open the door and went in with Lan Wangji in tow.

By the entrance, Wei Wuxian grabbed a glass bottle from the console table and held it over his head in a batting stance. Lan Wangji looked at him pointedly and Wei Wuxian mouthed, better safe than sorry.

The two glanced around, they were in the living room. The curtains were drawn and the AC was off. The house seemed to be empty.

Concerned about Fu Nainai's whereabouts, Wei Wuxian was about to ask when the flushing sound of a toilet interrupted him. Both Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian turned to stare at the closed bathroom door at the end of the hallway.

Wei Wuxian crept forward with his glass bottle in hand. Lan Wangji tried to stop him but the omega brushed him aside. He inhaled deeply and held his breath as the doorknob began to turn.

"HIYAA- AHHHHHH!" Wei Wuxian screamed. He came face to face with a boy who immediately also started screaming which made Wei Wuxian scream louder and in turn made the other boy scream even louder which then made-

Lan Wangji's ears were bleeding. He walked up and covered the omega's mouth with a hand.

"...AHHHH- mmft- mft-!!" Wei Wuxian flapped his arms around like a chicken trying to fly. The boy's screaming also came to a halt when Wei Wuxian stopped. It was a good thing too because the boy didn't seem capable of pitching any higher. He panted hoarsely and looked up, "It's, it's- Hey, it's you guys!" he said in surprise.

"Oh my god, it's you!" Wei Wuxian exclaimed, ripping Lan Wangji's hand away. "Hotel kid! What are you doing here? Where's Fu Nainai?"

"Fu Nainai in Japan! Didn't Nainai tell you? Her son yesterday came and took her to Japan so she could spend the summer with him and his family," Lan Jingyi said, scratching his head, eyeing the glass bottle Wei Wuxian was holding. "I'm here to take care of her plants while she's gone. Oh, and also, Butter. She's at my house right now."

"I see..." Wei Wuxian squinted at the boy, not lowering his weapon. "Hmm. Should I believe all that you said?"

"Oh come on, give me a break, my friend always says I have an earnest and honest face," Lan Jingyi complained. "Why don't you call Fu Nainai yourself if you are so skeptical! And please don't hit me with that thing," he muttered the last part quickly.

"Okay fine, I'll believe you this time. But you got to admit it's too much of a coincidence that we'll meet here out of all places!" Wei Wuxian said, handing the bottle to Lan Wangji who placed it on a countertop, out of reach.

Lan Jingyi frowned and bit his thumb, "You're right. It is too much of a coincidence."

"See? So I was saying-"