Chapter 16- Accuse and accused

Chapter 16

"Rusong, you are going to eat them all before we get to the bake sale..."

"It's not my fault that they are so good," Jin Rusong retorted, before taking another bite of the mini pie. He held a box full of them in his other arm.

"Alright, alright, just be careful not to drop them," Wen Yuan replied. The two were walking to the school's courtyard where the bake sale was going to be held.

"It was nice of your dad to drop us off," Wen Yuan hummed, "Too bad he couldn't attend."

"Yeah," Rusong muttered, "I thought we came here for vacation but he still has work I supposed."

"What does your dad do for work?" Wen Yuan asked. Jin Rusong squinted, "Er- to be honest, I never asked."

"Oh, well, I live with my aunt and uncle. My aunt's a doctor," Wen Yuan smiled, lowering his eyes to the stack of boxes in his arms.

"..." Jin Rusong glanced at him. Was Wen Yuan an orphan? Wen Yuan caught his expression and smiled reassuringly, "Oh, but my aunt and uncle are great, and besides, I never knew my parents."

"Oh... Well, I never knew my mum," Jin Rusong said. "My dad raised me by himself. My dad's pretty great too," He smiled at Wen Yuan. Wen Yuan was nearly caught off guard- Jin Rusong had a beautiful smile. He smiled back.

"Oh, look, there's Jingyi!" Wen Yuan pointed ahead. The said boy perked his ears, hearing his name. He looked to see Wen Yuan and Jin Rusong walking toward the tables. "Sizhui!" he shouted, vigorously waving his arm.

"Oh, did you two come together?" Lan Jingyi asked, pursing his lips. Wen Yuan nodded, "Shen Laoshi said Rusong can just help me with the bake sale since he's new. We brought apple pies."

"Oh well, we made lemon-flavored cupcakes! And by we, I mean, my laoshi who's going to teach me how to be a detective, and Uncle Xichen!" Lan Jingyi called out the last name, and Lan Xichen heard him. He smiled and walked over, "Jingyi, what's up?"

"Hi..." Wen Yuan and Jin Rusong muttered in unison, eyeing the man.

"Hello!" Lan Xichen smiled at Wen Yuan. When his gaze fell on Jin Rusong, his face seemed a little surprised before asking, "You two are...?"

"We are Jingyi's friends," Wen Yuan answered, "I'm Wen Yuan and he's Rusong, Jin Rusong."

"Mhm," the other boy nodded. Lan Xichen blinked. "Rusong-? Are you Meng Yao's son?"

"You know my dad?" Jim Rusong asked. Lan Xichen nodded and smiled, "I'm his friend. Has he never mentioned me before?"

"Well..." Jin Rusong glanced at Wen Yuan who was staring at him intently. "... Not really."

Wen Yuan internally sighed, come on, Rusong! Lan Jingyi looked at Lan Xichen and then Jin Rusong. Then he looked back at Lan Xichen. He frowned and grabbed onto Lan Xichen's arm, "Uncle Xichen, let's go help Uncle Wangji arrange the cupcakes on the table."

Lan Jingyi dragged the older away and he looked back and stuck out his tongue.

"...he just stuck out his tongue at me!" Jin Rusong complained to Wen Yuan. "Huh?" Wen Yuan looked up from placing the mini apple pies on the table. "Oh, Rusong, Jingyi wouldn't do that." Actually, that's exactly something Jingyi would do.

Jin Rusong pressed his lips into a thin line and picked up another pie.

*********************************************************************

"Your uniform is put on wrong and you aren't wearing a name tag. Tell me why I shouldn't call the security right now and have them apprehend you."

The woman stared at him with her arms and legs crossed. Wei Wuxian fidgets with his hands and purses his lips, lowering his eyes. "Ma'am- I mean, Manager Yang..." He began, "I'm really sorry about all this, I... I really didn't have any bad intentions!" He looked up with wide earnest eyes.