Chapter 22- Revelations

Chapter 22

"The mole is Hui-ge."

The words left Wei Wuxian's mouth almost involuntarily. There was silence and then Wei Wuxian scrambled to get his phone. "I got to tell Jiang Cheng!"

-

"Why are you following me?"

Jiang Cheng strode over and yapped at him. Lan Xichen sheepishly lowered the coffee menu. It had been three hours since Jiang Cheng left the house and he could spot Lan Xichen in the corner of his eye, following him around and into the coffee shop. Jiang Cheng wrinkled his nose at him.

"I just want to make sure you are safe," Lan Xichen smiled sheepishly. Jiang Cheng scoffed, "I can take care of myself."

"You are right. That was just an excuse," Lan Xichen said solemnly. "I just want to be close to you."

Jiang Cheng's face heats up at Lan Xichen's unabashed words. "Don't be ridiculous! Argh, come here!" He grabbed his hand and dragged the alpha out of the coffee shop.

Outside, it was a warm summer night. Jiang Cheng let go of Lan Xichen's hand (to the other man's dismay) and crossed his arms over his chest, dissatisfied. Lan Xichen gazed at Wanyin's sharp features, softly glowing from the nearby lamplight. 

"Wanyin..." Lan Xichen's dark eyes shone with the reflection of Jiang Cheng and the moon as he gently took his hands into his, "Let's go for a walk?"

"..."

Jiang Cheng trudged beside Lan Xichen down a brick-lined path. "What's this place?" Jiang Cheng blurted out.

"Clover Park. We are near the old neighborhood by the downtown," Lan Xichen replied.

"Oh."

Then- "That's where Hui-ge lives," Jiang Cheng said abruptly.

Lan Xichen felt his stomach clenched. "You know where he lives?" He asked, his eyes flashing. Jiang Cheng shrugged, "It's on his employee profile." The omega observed his reaction.

"It's a pretty old neighborhood," Jiang Cheng continued, "Most of the residents are elderly too. I never knew why Hui-ge chose to live there-"

"Why do you call him Hui-ge?" Lan Xichen blurted out. Realizing he said it out loud, he looked into Jiang Cheng's eyes and added, unabashed, "I don't like it."

Jiang Cheng squinted at him and retorted, "Why? He's older than me."

"I'm older than you too," Lan Xichen said earnestly. "But you call me by my full name."

Lan Xichen's eyes sparkled with persistence, and it made Jiang Cheng's cheeks flush. "What are you trying to say?"

Lan Xichen blinked. "Oh, I..." He swallowed, his Adam's apple bobbing, "I..." Lan Xichen's pupils widened and he took Jiang Cheng's hands. "Wanyin, I..."

Jiang Cheng stared at him, holding his breath. In a tiny corner of his brain, he can hear Wei Wuxian in a squeaky voice,

Lan Xichen has the hots for you! And I know that you know it too! Come on, Jiang Cheng, what are you going to do if he asks you out?