Chapter 24- Questions

Chapter 24

The two adults sat on either side of the couch and Jingyi could feel their gazes boring a hole into him.

"...so um, they should be coming soon." He decided to test the water.

"Uh huh," Jiang Cheng responded.

"Of course," Lan Xichen gave what seemed like a strained smile.

"..." If you guys don't want me here just say it! Jingyi thought. Actually don't, I would throw a tantrum...

Jiang Cheng could feel Lan Xichen's despicable gaze boring into him. The moment Jingyi turned his head away, the alpha pounced on him and they fought- scuffled. Then Jingyi turned his head back and Lan Xichen was on the other side of the couch, acting like he did not just give poor Jiang Cheng a heart attack with his impulse.

Jingyi tilted his head, huh, that's weird. Was Uncle Lan always sitting that close to Shifu? Jingyi mentally shrugged, oh well.

The doorbell rang and Jingyi jumped up, "They are here!" He hurried to the door with Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng following behind him. He opened the door to two bright-eyed kids standing out on the porch.

"Hello, Uncle Jiang!" The first boy greeted, smiling at him.

"Hey, Sizhui," Jiang Cheng smiled faintly. Wen Ning's boy, he mouthed to Lan Xichen when the alpha looked at him curiously. Wen Yuan is Wen Ning's nephew and Jiang Cheng knows he is a good kid. Wei Wuxian was particularly fond of the boy as they grew up in similar situations, being orphans who were taken in by their uncle and aunt.

"Sizhui!" Jingyi stretched out his hands and gave his friend a hug. Wen Yuan patted him on the back, "Hello, Jingyi."

"Where's Jin Rusong?" Jingyi asked, peeking over his shoulder before pulling him into the house.

"He's coming, you don't mind if he brings his dog along?" He asked, briefly glancing at Lan Xichen. Lan Xichen smiled and shook his head, indicating he didn't mind. "Come on in," he said. He led them to the living room.

"And who are you?" Jiang Cheng looked at the other boy that came with Wen Yuan.

"I'm Zizhen, Ouyang Zizhen," the boy introduced himself. "I'm Jingyi's lab partner."

"Okay so, let me get this straight, all three of you- including the kid that's coming later- are working on a science project together?" Jiang Cheng made a circular hand motion at the trio. 

"Well, separately- Shen Laoshi partnered Jingyi with me, and Jin Rusong is going to work with Wen Yuan," Zizhen corrected. "Actually, I don't know why we are working here but nice house." He shrugged and gave a lopsided smile.

Jiang Cheng nodded slowly. Lan Xichen smiled and waved a hand, "Thank you. You guys can work at the counter over here if you want. Wanyin and I will get you something to drink." With a breezy smile, Lan Xichen tugged at Jiang Cheng's shirt.

"A-alright, just make sure you don't make a mess!" Jiang Cheng added, darting at them over his shoulder as Lan Xichen ushered him away.

"Your uncles are nice," Zizhen told Jingyi as they settled down at the table.

Jingyi puffed up his chest, "Of course! Imagine if they are my real uncles!"

"Well, you are already halfway there- Uncle Lan has the same surname as you," Wen Yuan commented.

"Oh yeah!" Jingyi grinned. "What a coincidence eh?"

Meanwhile in the kitchen:

"I did not envision spending my evening babysitting a couple of middle schoolers," Jiang Cheng muttered as he rummaged through the cabinet over his head. "Do we have fruit punch?"