Chapter 1

The sound of birds chirping outside could be heard, marking that morning had come, as sunlight dimly illuminated a big room filled with beds, through the gaps between the curtains. All of that caused, a young girl to wake up, after another good sleep on a comfortable bed.

"... *yawn*"

The girl rubbed her sleepy eyes as she begrudgingly got up from her bed, as the peeks of sunlight illuminated her pale long black hair, which only made her clean and cute face look even more charming. That girl was Nanako, one of the many orphans that the lord, brought to the manor to work as "interns."

Nanako looked at the closed curtains absent-mindedly, before she once again remembered where she was and why, which caused her to get up from her in a jump, and then approach the curtains to open them.

"Everyone! It's mornin' already! It's time to get up, so that we can repay, Edward-sama for his kindness!"

When she said that as she opened the curtains one by one, the other kids, started complaining as they sat up with more or less tired faces. Nanako looked at her siblings, and the children from the other orphanages with a small smile as she finished opening the curtains

It had been a few days, ever since the day that she cried after Edward visited the orphanage to bring her and her siblings to the manor, but in those few days, they had gotten more than what they could've ever asked for. Clean and proper clothes, warm meals, warm rooms, and comfortable beds. Of course, in exchange they had to work hard for the lord, which they were all doing with smiles on their faces, especially Nanako.

"C'mon, everyone! Get dressed and ready, it'll almost be time for breakfast!"

Nanako said that as she helped the other children to get up and get changed, some of the kids took off their clothes on the spot, while others went into the changing rooms, where they all had been assigned individual but small wardrobes, enough for them to put a decent number of clothes inside, but nothing much else.

After seeing that everyone was changing clothes or in the process, Nanako went to the dressing room meant for girls. In there, she took off her sleeping wear, revealing a thin body that lacked in many areas, due to her lack of proper nutrition, as she changed to her work uniform, which was a basic maid uniform that lacked any form of decoration.

After changing her clothes, Nanako went to help the children who were struggling to put on their uniforms. Everyone would finish changing their clothes, right as the head maid, Camilla, opened the door to the room. Which caused everyone to stand up and bow down as they were taught to.

"... *Nods* Very good, you all sure are quick learners"

Camilla showed a small smile that fitted with her beautiful looks and even gave her an even more dignified feeling, which impressed Nanako and some of the kids.

"Now then, everyone. Please form two lines and follow me as usual"

The children obediently formed two lines and followed after Camilla without causing any trouble, since the few that did cause trouble in the past few days had been punished, just as Edward had warned them when he went to pick them up from their orphanages.

After a short walk, they arrived at another large room, this time one that was filled with simple tables and chairs, this was the refectory, another area of the manor that receive some changes to accommodate the "interns". The two lines of children were now separated with a long table in between them, while two smaller tables were set up in front of them. Camilla went behind one of the tables to man it, while the other one was manned by... Edward, much to the surprise of Nanako, when it was her turn to receive her breakfast.