Chapter 26

It was another day, and thus another round of anxiety and stress for Edward, as yet again, he was being forced to share a tea table with the crown prince, who once again came to his family's residence uninvited and without any prior announcement. But differently from yesterday... The prince had arrived at a horrible time for Edward because he had just returned from a routine inspection of the city, and the reason it was horrible was that Nanako would always be waiting for his return so that she could be the first one to greet him back.

In other words, there was no chance for Nanako to go hide somewhere else, and because it was the prince, she was forced to accompany him to serve him and Edward as the two "socialized."

However, just like the other time, no one was talking, Edward because he wanted to avoid doing anything that could be accused as lese-majeste, and Nanako because of the wariness she had towards the prince.

"Today's weather is quite nice, wouldn't you not agree, Nanako-san?"

"..."

"..."

At that cliched conversation opener, Nanako remained quiet, while Edward also remained quiet both because he felt like the prince would give him a death glare for getting in his way, also because he could feel his stomach acid acting and going in the wrong way from seeing Nanako ignore the prince's question.

"! Edward-sama, would you like some more tea"

"Ah... Yes, I'd love to..."

When Nanako spoke with Edward, it almost seemed like she had a tail happily wagging from side to side as she poured more tea into his teacup. However, after doing so, she didn't even bother asking the prince whether he wanted more tea or not, which was enough to cause him to give Edward a death glare.

"... ... ... W-Would you like some more tea, your highness?..."

"I would like some more yes"

Not wanting to feel his throat burning a second time, Edward was the one who spoke in Nanako's place, since she was too wary, and antagonistic, towards the prince, thanks in most part due to Lysette's influence. And when the prince begrudgingly accepted Edward's offer, Nanako went to pour more tea for Ludovic.

However, different from Edward in that she stood as close as possible to him in a way that wouldn't cause him trouble, for the prince, she kept as much distance as she could from him, but not all that much so that she wouldn't spill outside his teacup, and after doing so, she returned on standing close to Edward.

"..."

"..." <Lysette-sama, please save me...>

The prince remained quiet at seeing the person he was interested in, clearly showing affection to someone else, but his anger was openly visible to Edward, who for a second time in a row, begged for Lysette to come and save him from this situation. Luckily for him, his wishes were granted for a second time, again, as a familiar voice called to him.

"Edward-sama!"

"! Ah! Lysette-sama! What brings you here today?"

"I just wanted to spend more time with you. Ah, Your Highness Ludovic, may I know your purpose here today?"

When she spoke with Edward, Lysette's voice was bubbly and upbeat as she showed a bright smile, that immediately turned into a cold one, as she spoke with the prince in an emotionless, yet annoyed, tone.

"... I was just here on a passage, however, it appears that I need to take my leave now"

Knowing very well that he couldn't simply go against the Neville Ducal family without a good reason, the prince took an early decision to leave while Lysette was still in a good mood. The three watched the prince leave the premises, until he was completely out of sight, allowing for Edward to finally let his stress and anxiety go free as he loosened himself due to his relief.