Chapter 13

The palace's hall had gone silent after the trumpets announced the arrival of the king, he greeted all of his guests with a powerful, but lively, voice that was sure to grab the attention of everyone, and his ornamented clothes, fitting for a king, ensured that everyone's attention would be retained on him.

With everyone's attention on him, the King would formally introduce his son, Ludovic, the one whom this ceremony was for, to all the guests present. His well-proportioned face and flawless looks were certain to charm many of the girls who saw him, and one of them was none other than Lysette Neville, the only child of the current head of the Ducal house of Neville.

Born in such a privileged position, Lysette was not only graced with stunning looks, but she was also thoroughly educated in various subjects necessary for administering a territory, and in all of them, she passed with perfect marks. To such a person, very few people could look her in the eyes either from fear or from impure reasons, and none could talk to her without showing even a hint of their second intentions in trying to get closer to her.

So for Lynette, when she first saw the crown for the first time in her life, she couldn't understand what she felt. She couldn't take her eyes off him, as she felt her heart beating wildly, and feelings she had never felt before. So when the crown prince began to calmly step down the white staircase, Lysette began to make her way towards Ludovic in a hurry.

Making her way out of the crowd of the children from the other invited nobles, Lysette stood right in front of the crown prince with a slightly exhausted expression, due to the amount of effort she had to do to move past the crowd.

"Your Highness! My name is Lysette Neville, and it is an honor to meet you for the first time!"

With a voice filled with excitement, Lysette introduced herself to the prince, in hopes of leaving an impression on him.

"... Likewise. As you may know, my name is Ludovic Callan, and for as much as I would like to talk with someone from the Neville family, I have other guests I must entertain as well"

The prince, who maintained an uninterested face, gave Lysette a sufficiently respectful response with a bored tone before he started walking away to leave Lysette behind. However, instead of staying put Lysette tried to once again talk with the crown prince.

"Your Highness! Then how about I accompany you as you greet the other guests? As the daughter of the Neville family, it should help you by showing that we are on good terms!"

"... I will humbly refuse, your proposal. Greeting my guests should be done only by myself as anything less or more will be disrespectful to those invited"

Yet again, the prince began walking away, but Lysette continued following him and trying to talk with him, even when he showed no interest in getting closer to her. As that happened, on the upper floor, where most of the adults were having their conversations while keeping an eye on their children, two of the most powerful men in the kingdom were having a friendly conversation, and those two were the king and Lysette's father.

After their initial greetings and the king's obvious question, Hamilton, Lysette's father, decided to not waste any more time and just jump into the matter at hand.

"You want me to engage Lysette with Ludovic, isn't it, King Robert?"

"That's correct, Sir Hamilton. I believe that an engagement between our two oldest children would be of great interest to you, right?"

"... Well..."

Hamilton showed hesitation, he knew this offer by the king was of great interest to his family, but it was as equally risky, which could even mean the loss of his family's power and position. However, the most important was whether Lysette would want and agree to such an engagement. He looked down at the lower floor, to see how his daughter was faring, and there he saw her following after the crown prince as she appeared to be trying to talk with him but was constantly ignored.