Chapter 21

(A/N Notes: So about this chapter's happenings... ... ... I blame it all on the totally real devs of the game that is only mentioned in a single chapter (so far), and their contrived first part of the game about the female lead)

The atmosphere of the dancing hall had turned silent, after all, not only had the crown prince for the first time in his life, attempted to get close to a beautiful girl, whom most of the nobles there had never heard of, aside from those who were friends with Lysette and Edward.

But it had only become more complicated when it was revealed the fact that Lysette's fiancé, Edward, was also engaged to another girl as well, something that caused many of the young male nobles to become envious of him, due to Edward having amazing luck of being surrounded by not one, but two, beautiful girls.

As Edward was brought to the table reserved for him, Nanako, and Lysette, he couldn't help but feel rather concerned about his safety from the amount of stares and gazes directed at him, most of which were filled with anger and envy.

"..." <Although the last time I visited Lysette on her birthday, I also received glares like these... Why are there even more envious gazes at me today!? Is it because of Nanako!? I know she's a beautiful girl, and that it's not common for someone to have two engagements at the same time! But I can't do anything about Lysette-sama making her my fiancée behind my back!?... Not that I hate that fact though... ... ...Hm?>

Then while Edward screamed to himself inside his mind, he noticed a stare that was more intense than the rest, and looking at the direction of the stare, he wished that he hadn't noticed it nor looked in that direction because that gaze in question belonged to none other than the crown prince, who was looking at Edward with very intimidating eyes, that almost appeared as if the prince was trying to kill him with just his eyes. However, all that it made was cause Edward to cold sweat even more, as he could guess what the crown prince wanted.

"Is something wrong, Edward-sama?"

"... No... How can I say it?... ... ... I am just feeling a lot of envious stares in my direction"

"Ah. I understand. Fufu, I am sure that everyone is jealous of you being so close to me and Nanako-san"

"Yeah..."

Lysette who was sitting close to Edward to his right, said so as she happily smiled to him without caring about her surroundings, and especially the crown prince. Nanako, who was also sitting close to Edward, but to his left, on the other hand, kept looking down to avoid making any accidental eye contact with a noble as she kept pulling the sleeves of Edward's clothes.

Edward doing his best to keep his poker face, with the help of his growing headache, caused by his unintentional lese-majeste with the crown prince, looked around once more. This time he noticed that the gazes that were once aimed at him were now alternating between him and Nanako, which instead of making him feel relieved, only made Edward feel even more concerned since that meant that one after the other, more and more nobles were getting interested, and maybe even fancied by Nanako.

"... ... ... Lysette-sama?"

"Yes, Edward-sama"

"... Will you forgive me if I decide to spend most of the night accompanying Nanako so that... No one else tried to take her away?"

"..."

Lysette who had been making a happy smile ever since the appearance of Edward, started making a serious pensive expression as she carefully began looking at her surroundings, she quickly noticed what Edward was referring to, and for a moment, Lysette locked her eyes on Prince Ludovic who to keep up appearances began greeting some of the guests with a fake smile, but he would always glance at Nanako whenever he had the chance.