Chapter 27 - Happy Birthday

CLARE'S POV

We arrive at my cousin's birthday party and thankfully... Everyone is dressed just as nice as us. Before I knew it, my new little cousin comes running towards us with a huge grin.

Elicia: COUSIN CLARISSA!

I pull her into a big hug while spinning her in the air.

Me: Hey birthday girl, enjoying the party?

She nods quickly as I let her down. She then turns over to Winry with a questioning look.

Elicia: Who are you?

Winry: I'm Clare's friend Winry.

Elicia: Nice to meet you Winry.

She instantly then runs off and plays again with the other children.

You: I've only met her a couple times, but by far she's definitely like Hughes.

We decide to walk around the house until Hughes or one of the boys finds us.

Hughes: Hey kids enjoying the party?

We both nod as he smiles. After a moment he goes into a questioning look.

Hughes: Have you two seen Ed and Al?

We shake our heads, making him sigh.

Hughes: Darn, right when I thought those two would come.

Me: What did they say on the phone?

Hughes: They said maybe, but I thought they would sure come if they knew you two were coming.

I pat my uncle's shoulder.

Me: If they don't come I'll at least bring Ed his cake.

Hughes sighs again.

Hughes: Yeah I guess that sounds good. I'm just disappointed they didn't get to see my little Elicia's big day.

Me: Now Uncle, let's enjoy the party okay? Elicia wouldn't want to see you depressed on her special day correct?

Hughes: Yeah you're right. Alright let's get this party moving!

We all move to the others and continue enjoying the party. Elicia was ecstatic when she saw her birthday cake. It was fully decked out with several layers of cake, along with enough icing to feed an entire army of children. By the end of the party, Ed and Al didn't show up. Oddly though, I agree with Hughes. I definitely thought they would show up. However as promised, I brought the cake back with me to their room. 

Leaving the party, we make our way back to my room. But before we enter the building, Winry almost trips due to accidentally breaking a heel. I couldn't help but laugh as she broke out in frustration.

Winry: Not funny! I almost messed up my ankle!

Me: Ahaha but still!

I bend to her heel and swiftly fixed it with alchemy.

Winry: I'm going back to your room ahead of you. I'm going to go check out my ankle to see if it swells up.

Me: Your ankle is fine.

She takes a step and doesn't wince one bit.

Winry: Oh.

I get up to grow a smirk.

Me: See? Now if you want to go home because you don't want to see the boys see you all nicely dressed up, then be my guest.

I wink, seeing he face go red. She quickly snaps out of it but I don't want this to end.. Well, not quite yet.