Chapter 42 - Tunnels (Under Editing)

CLARE'S POV

It's been a few days since the incident, and thankfully with convincing, I was able to keep Winry with me if she were to show up.

Me: Man when can I finally leave this room?

I look out my window to see the usual snowfall.

*KNOCK KNOCK*

Me: Come in!

The door opens to see Armstrong.

Me: Am I free now?

Armstrong: No, but I do need both you and Fullmetal.

My eyes brighten in an instant. I finally get to see Ed again. Okay Clare, don't show you're too excited now.
I throw on my metal intertwined boots and followed after Armstrong.

Me: So what's going on?

Armstrong: The holes.

Me: Are they the same ones I was trailing under?

She shakes her head.

Armstrong: No. There's an old railway system within it.

Me: Perhaps a forgotten mine tunnel?

Armstrong: Not sure.

We soon enter the room with Ed and Al already waiting.

Me: Ed!

I smile brightly before pulling him into a hug. For a moment I didn't care what anyone thought, I just really missed him.

Ed: Do you know what's going on?

Me: Not sure. I walked through a different tunnel before made by that homunculus we froze. This hole however, leads to a mining tunnel.

Al: But what's with the horses?

I jump onto one of them.

Me: Isn't it obvious?

Both the boys shake their heads... I think they gotten a little dense since I've left them.

Me: We're exploring the tunnel!

Ed gets on behind me, meanwhile Al, Armstrong, Buccaneer, and Falman get on their own horse. In due time, we find ourselves getting deeper within the tunnel.

Armstrong: To think we let an intruder get this far without us noticing.

Ed: Have you ever let anyone else get in before?

Armstrong: Not since I took command here. But nearly twenty years ago, there was an incident where the mountain guard was attacked in the middle of winter. Apparently, a mysterious woman stole food and equipment repeatedly for an entire month.

I feel Ed tense behind me. Don't tell me that story was... I turn to see Ed pale. I take that as a yes.

Ed and Al: That was her.

They both quietly say still taken back. For a few minutes, there was complete silence, although I can tell those two are still flustered over that sudden news.

Armstrong: Dismount.

Me: Huh?

We all get off and Armstrong walks over to a box and sits.

Armstrong: Now then... You don't have to worry about prying eyes in here. Tell me everything you know. I mean everything this time.

I looked over to the guys and back to her.

Armstrong: Don't hold anything back. When I asked you Fullmetal about that monster, you said something. "You'll have to guess." In other words, you believed I would take a hint. Under certain circumstances you were both leaving yourselves open to be cut down by me, and yet that's what you said to me. There's something you're risking your own life to protect. Perhaps a hostage or...