07| 𝚆𝚑𝚒𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜

SUMMER BLAKE

SUMMER BLAKE

If you were to tell me that a year from now that I would be walking into school nervous I would've said bullshit.

But here I am, Kai is typing away on his phone while I sit in his passenger seat fiddling with my fingers. He hasn't noticed my reluctance to get out of the car yet and I can't seem to move despite us being parked in front of the huge familiar building.

Wentworth High

My fear of school was non-existent before my coma. I went through my everyday life with a happy-go-lucky attitude not knowing or caring about my future, being lost in every waking moment.

Almost dying made me realize that's not how I want to live my life.

I was a people pleaser at heart which meant pleasing my friends no matter what.

I had a million questions, how would they react to me now? Would we still even be friends? Has the group gotten larger? Did any of them visit me during my state?

My entire friend group consisted of 9 people. Sierra, Isabelle, Jake, Carter, Austin, Mia, Rick, Demi and me. We were popular and ran the school some of us more on the meaner side than others but what I loved the most about us was that we were balanced. We confided in each other in strange ways but I considered them my second family.

Out of all my friends, I had my boyfriend Carter. I just felt right with him and he became my comfort when my family didn't accept my love properly.

One thing I wondered the most was whether or not I was deluded before my coma. An important question that I'm scared to find the answer to is, were my friends real?

Suddenly I'm shaken out of my stressful thoughts.

"Are you not gonna get out, we're right on time, unfortunately", he says looking at me trying to figure out my frozen state.

I clutch my tote bag but say nothing despite the words trying to come out.

"I didn't expect someone like you to get nervous", he says with a playful tone.

I look at him our eyes meeting causing me to quickly look away.

"I'm not nervous", I lie firmly my voice not wavering.

"Oh yeah and I can't drive", he says sarcastically.

He looks at me skeptically while I glare sharply at him.

"Whatever you say Medusa", he says opening the car door causing my breath to get caught in my throat.

Right as he opens the door a guy I recognize from the varsity basketball team who appears to be his friend walks over dapping him up as they start to talk about nonsense. I take this chance to open the door and slip away walking towards my impending doom.

Every step I take toward the double doors causes my heart to beat in my chest as if my whole core is shaking.

The whispers had already started as I took note of the students around me.

"no fucking way"

"Omg that's her bro"

"Summer is back wtf"

"Y'all said she died though"

"No, it was a coma dumbass"

"She's bad as fuck I would get at that"

"How do you think Carter's gonna react?"

"I've never seen her in jeans though"

"Maybe it's a doppelgänger or something"

I ignored the obnoxious comments and headed straight to my first class according to my schedule, I was behind so school was surprisingly my priority especially if I wanted to get into the arts school I set my sights on.

I would meet up with my friends later and surprise them, I refrained from texting or even opening up the Group chat so they wouldn't genuinely suspect my return. I hadn't even checked their socials or anything, I just wanted to see their real faces.

Especially Carters.

                                  ༻...༺

Lunch was finally here and 2nd period had just ended, unfortunately, Kai was in my 2nd-period physics class and wouldn't stop bad-mouthing me to his friends from the back of the classroom.

Although I could care less about Kai I was ready to see my friends.

Since I was a senior I only had 2 periods each day followed by lunch. It seemed like a dream but since I missed so much school, online classes when I got home we're unfortunately my new spare time hobby.

I walk swiftly to the familiar huge double doors and pause.

I take a deep breath and push them open right off the bat already seeing most people who were already seated swerve their heads towards me their mouths agape and wide.

I ignore the dramatics and analyze the crowd searching. I see the twins trying to avoid eye contact with me while sitting with their friends who widen their eyes at my face having seen it multiple times at our house. Their friends turn to the twins in confusion most likely asking why I'm not doing my usual sing-song-type greetings. Yes, I used to sing when greeting people that's how bubbly I used to be yet now it seemed as if nothing wanted to come out of my throat. That is the least of my concerns though.

I freeze finally upon meeting the eyes of my best friend Isabelle. My mouth twitches into a warm smile.

She mouths something causing the rest of the group to follow her eyes and once they look at me their reactions make me feel uneasy.

Their faces are a mixture of shocked and nervous, not one smile.

Something's wrong I can feel it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: The views of this book aren't picking up quickly yet because of my updating schedule but trust yall it's gonna gain traction with the way this book is moving. What do yall think is gonna happen next, why do you think they look so uncomfortable with Summers's presence?

Also, any questions you want answers to? <3