𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

EVANGELINA
——————————

"Ouch!" I whisper yelled when I landed on the ground. The thin layer of snow stuck to my clothes and hands. Slowly, I pushed myself up and dusted off the snow.

As I planned, the guards were not on this side. Thankfully. I let out a breath of relief and picked up my bag that was lying on the ground.

The night was cold and snow was falling, peacefully coating the ground and the tall trees.

What I hated the most about living here was that we were in the middle of nowhere and also... my family.

Yes, I hated my family.

And that's why I was running away. They can't keep me here forever. Since I turned eighteen Dad wouldn't let me leave. Wasn't it supposed to be the other way? When I turn eighteen I should have been more free, right?

Nah, not with my family apparently.

Being a daughter of a very well know and respected Mafia Boss was not something I would wish on anyone. Well if you were a guy you might have enjoyed this lifestyle, but a girl?

I would rather be homeless.

My dad Sergei Dimitriev, was the head of the family and whatever he said, we had to follow, but not today Dad. I won't be stuck here till you find a husband for me.

Probably some old man. No, thank you.

I turned my head around looking if someone was outside. The few strands of hair that were falling down, were sticking to my face and I annoyingly pushed them aside.

Lurking around the house, my heartbeat increased with each passing moment.

This was my plan for a long time. I had made literally a whole journal on how I'll escape this prison that's called my home.

I couldn't take it anymore. I was not meant for this type of life. I wanted something more for myself. Poetry and writing books, that's what I was meant to do. I wanted people to know about the stories and tales I write.

But with this lifestyle that was not possible. So, I was going to escape. At age twenty-three, I finally found the courage to do so.

My eyes looked around, in every corner to see if any of the guards are where they are not supposed to be.

I might have tricked Adrian, one of the bodyguards and told him to wait for me at the gazebo on the other side of the yard. Bating my eyelashes and speaking with a sweet voice did the job.

Did he really think that I was going to meet him there? He was literally married. Disgusting pig. But it was in my advance, at least he won't be around now. When I'm trying to get away.

I don't know what will happen to the guards after I escape but I had to think about myself as well.

I couldn't stay here just to save their lives.

It might be selfish of me but I've had enough of putting other people before me. I had to do something for myself as well. I deserved it.

I slowly tip-toed to the fence and threw my bag over my shoulder. I might have made a bad decision of not dressing up in something warmer but it was too late now.

Bracing myself on the fence, I climbed it and jumped over. My breathing relaxed when the alarm didn't go off. But of course, I thought of that beforehand as well. I might have been sheltered here but I made sure to learn as much as I could.

I knew exactly how everything worked here and also made sure to learn about the Mafia. When it came to that matter, it was pretty hard to find out stuff since everything was kept a secret. Every little word and action was locked in a safe and never revealed to me or my Mom.