𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

EVANGELINA
————————

Something cold tickles down my face.

It's rain.

It damps my hair to the extent that it sticks to my skin. I push it away and look around. The muddy ground makes my steps slower.

The wind was ruffling its fingers through the trees and blowing around my body, making me shiver in my spot. The short white dress was glued to my figure.

The forest was dark only the last rays of the sun shining through the leaves.

It was cold. So cold. My lips were trembling and my hands were shaking.

I took a step in my left direction and with heavy struggles moved through the mud. I had no shoes on.

"Help!" I yelled with as much voice as I had in my throat.

"Someone help me, please!" Nothing. There was no one around. The raindrops coated my lashes and I aggressively wiped them off.

The sound of my teeth colliding filled my ears and I wrapped my arms around me.

Taking a few more steps, I stepped on something sharp. A yelp left my lips and I crouched down. It was a piece of branch. Slowly and carefully, I pulled it off. It hurt but I had to carry on with walking.

Wobbling on one leg, I continued with my walk.

Another wave of wind blew through the trees and the leaves started to fall all over me. I pushed them back but they were not stopping. When I opened my mouth, strangled, tortured sounds were the only thing that came out.

I couldn't form a sentence, not even a word.

My fragile body fell on the ground and the mud started to pull my body into the soil.

Grabbing onto the branches, I slowly pushed myself up.

My dress was clean. The rain stopped.

The wind was slowing down and there was a lake in front of me. The water was dark, almost black.

A white small figure floated in the middle of the lake. My legs carried me to the shore and my feet were now deep into the murky water. I jumped and started to swim towards the object.

It was not far.

Just a few more feet and I'll reach it.

My body was tired but I got as close as I could.

The red liquid floated around and when I looked carefully it was...

A hand.

A hand cut off from a human body.

The blood was mixed with the dirty water and the white flesh was floating over. A sharp pain cut through my arm.

"Ouch." I hissed and lifted my arm.

My eyes widened.

"Noo!!!" I scream as loud as I could when I saw my palm missing.

"Noo!!!"

"Noo!" I jolted awake. My body was covered in sweat and a dim light was illuminating the room.

My heart was ramming against my chest, creating almost unbearable pain.

I rubbed above it with my trembling hand. Quickly extending my other one, I grabbed the inhaler that was on the nightstand. It was strictly in that place because I never know when I'll need it.