𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞

EVANGELINA
——————————

She tightened her hands around me even more. Her soft sobs filled my ears and I bit my lip trying to prevent mine.

"Please be careful, Eva," Fumiko said.

"I will don't worry." We stayed like that for a few more seconds. After that, we loosened our hands and slowly pulled back. Her eyes were rimmed with red, her cheeks soaked with tears.

"Please don't cry, Fumiko. We'll see each other again." She nodded and wiped her nose.

I gave her an encouraging smile and she weakly smiled back at me.

"I'll keep Angel safe till you're back." She pointed to the sofa where Angel was currently chilling. Her small body was curled on the very far end.

She didn't sleep last night and neither did I. She must have sensed how anxious I was. I laid her on my bed and held her till the sun peeked through the window.

I cried the whole night and she tapped her small paws over my face.

"Thank you." I thanked her and walked over to the sofa. I lifted Angel's tiny body in my hands. She started sniffing my t-shirt with her nose and lifted her head to me.

"Hi, baby. Fumiko will take care of you. I'll be back before you know it. Okay?" I talked to her while I held her closer. I caressed her soft fur and placed a few gentle kisses on her head and ears.

Also, Fumiko brought me a small carrying case for Angel because I will need it when I leave.

I also packed all of my stuff which was not a lot. Seeing them placed on the bed waiting for me made me sick to my stomach.

I was really leaving tomorrow. This place, Fumiko,... Asahi. I was leaving everything behind and starting a new life.

Leaving will be hard but it was the only way. I couldn't stay here. There were so many things that I had to experience and see.

Also, what was I going to do if I stayed here? I didn't want Asahi to be reminded of his past and what my family did every time he looked at me.

"We will both miss you."

"Fumiko, don't be sad. I'll be back tonight, remember? I'm not leaving right now."

"Yeah, but I'm still sad." She wiped her face and another sob left her lips. "You're my best friend, Eva. It's hard knowing you'll leave tomorrow."

I walked towards her again and we hugged for the last time. I handed her Angel and pushed my hair behind my ears after wiping my eyes.

"Don't forget to take the jacket, because I know you will if I don't remind you." She was right. I loved the cold outside and that's why I never wore the jacket. But today I won't be outside just enjoying the snow.

Asahi and everyone else were waiting for me and also preparing some stuff that they had to do.

Fumiko had been crying the whole morning and she made me some breakfast so I wouldn't be hungry. I ate a few pieces and that was it. But I appreciated her for doing so. I'll miss her so much.

I grabbed the jacket and waved at them.

Wrapping the thick material around me, I made my way outside. The house today was not as quiet as always. Guards and soldiers were going in and out.

The doors were open and there were noises outside. People were talking, the cars were already parked. The soldiers were armed with guns and Asahi stood there giving them some kind of instructions.