𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

EVANGELINA
—————————

My ears buzzed.

My head pounded.

I turned around and I felt the softness underneath me. My eyes were still closed and I struggled to open them.

I couldn't.

Turning and shifting, I groaned at the pain I felt on my shoulder, next to my neck. What happened?

The place was quiet and the only thing I was able to hear was my whining and soft breathing.

After about five minutes of just trying to gather myself, I opened my eyes and blinked a few times. Everything felt strange. First, I didn't see the painted stars on the ceiling of my room but rather a plain white wall.

The sheet that was covering me was not my sage green blanket with daisies, it was a dark blue with nothing on it.

I shifted my head and turned to the side. My eyes caught sight of my inhaler placed on the wooden nightstand.

The bed smelled nice, like newly washed sheets. It calmed me for a second before realization hit me in the head.

I was not home.

My heart hammered against my skin and my eyes widened. Slowly pushing myself up, I sat on the comfortable bed and felt my breaths get short.

My hands started to shake and I extended my arm to reach the inhaler. When I successfully did so, I inhaled a deep breath and felt my body relax a little.

Well how much can I relax when I'm somewhere I don't recognize?

When I somehow calmed down my breathing, the blurry memories of what happened started to piece the puzzle.

I was trying to run away, but then the accident, the snow, and the cold weather.

Then my car not working and the man who helped me.

The man...

No!

The man, Asahi.

He... he took me somewhere. I remember the plane. And the very last thing I remember is his evil smile and his hushed words.

"Sleep well, little rabbit."

I pushed the covers off my body and swung my legs over the bed. I felt the cold wooden floor underneath my feet. My shoes were gone together with my socks.

I looked down at myself and thankfully I was still in my clothes. The black jeans were still clanged to my legs and the white t-shirt and Jovan's beige hoodie covered my torso.

When I looked closely, my shoes were placed next to the bed. They were dry and not wet from the snow.

Turning my head to the right, I spotted a dark wooden door. There was also a wardrobe made of dark wood. The room itself was plain white.

My eyes caught sight of a window on my left. From what I could see it was caged with bars. Of course, it was.

From one prison to another.

Somehow, I was able to get up and stand on my jelly-like legs. It felt like I haven't walked for ages. I stretched my body and tiptoed to the door

The chances of being unlocked were slim but I had to try. I had nothing else left. My feet made sticky noises on the polished floor as I reached the knob.

It was indeed locked. Of course, it was. What was I expecting? To be a free prisoner?

That's not even a thing Evangelina.