𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

EVANGELINA
———————————

After I picked up the bag, Asahi took hold of my hand and we walked towards his car.

He opened the door for me and I sat on the leather seat. He secured the seatbelt over my torso and closed the door behind. Thankfully the car was cool and not as hot as outside.

Asahi rounded the car and sat in the driver's seat. He started the engine and we drove off. The sun was slowly setting and the sky was painted with orangey-red colors.

I turned my head to Asahi and grinned. My heart was doing backflips of how happy I was. Slowly, I shifted my body so I was facing him.

I lifted my hand and ran my fingers over the tattoos on his arm that was resting between the seats.

There was a new tattoo on his wrist that was covered with a bandage. "Did you get a new tattoo?" I asked and looked up at him.

He faced me for a second and smiled. "Yes, I did."

"Can I see it?" My fingers stayed on his skin, tracing the other inked shapes that were forever imprinted on his soft skin.

"You'll see it later when I take this off." He turned his wrist and pointed to the bandage.

Now I was really curious about what he got. Asahi had many tattoos yet he didn't have full sleeves. The tattoos were placed here and there but they all beautifully complemented each other.

I leaned forward and placed a quick kiss on his bicep.

I felt clingy and giddy. Six months have passed since I had last seen him and all I needed was to feel his hands on mine and just to have him close to me.

Maybe I was being too straightforward but I couldn't stay away from him anymore. I liked him. A lot.

I realized that soon after we parted ways. Asahi made me feel safe and at peace. While I was living with him, all kinds of thoughts would waltz in my mind.

Sometimes I thought that maybe I felt like that because he was the only man around and the only one who gave me attention. But being away I realized that wasn't the case.

Many guys would flirt with me at work but all of them made me repulsed by their behavior. I didn't like it one bit.

Even the time when Areli tried to set me up for a date, I immediately said no. There was no desire in me to see another man.

All I wanted was for Asahi to be here. And now that he was, I had to find the courage and tell him how I felt. In my books it was easy, it was easy to write it. Such a simple thing to say but I know for me it will be hard.

But I'll try my best.

Calming melodies filled the car and I let myself drift away in the peaceful atmosphere. My hand stayed on Asahi's and I watched the sun disappear behind the sea and felt the last rays of sun on my skin.

Finally, I felt safe.

We drove for about forty minutes and it made me wonder where he was taking me. It was like the first time we met but this time, I was with someone I trusted.

When we finally arrived at a parking lot, located next to a beach, Asahi stopped the car.

He didn't attempt to get out but rather shifted his body to face me. His eyes found mine. The smile I missed so much was still very much present on his lips.

"I'm sorry, Lina. For letting you go." His voice echoed in the now silent car.

"It was really hard for me to watch you go but... I had to do it. I couldn't have made you stay. You deserve to experience the world on your own and have a choice if you want... me in your life or not." I understood what he was saying and I was glad things came out as they did.