𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

EVANGELINA
—————————

There was something terrifyingly wrong with my family.

My family was not as other ones. Something terribly weird was going on at home.

It was quite hard to put it into words.

Dad was abusive. To some of us mentally to some physically. He tried to pretend that our family was normal but, it wasn't. We were far from it. I know he is a leader of a Mafia family which is not an easy task but the way he was treating us, made us emotionally turn away from each other.

Mom she... she didn't seem fine. She tried her best to raise me well but there was something strange lurking in her eyes. Something that was hiding and wasn't revealing in front of me or Jovan. She desperately wanted my father's attention and she was ready to do anything to get it.

She seemed quite okay with the way Dad was handling any situation with me and Jovan.

The emotional abuse we were getting from him was secretly satisfying her. Is some sick twisted way.

Jovan on the other hand. I always felt his hate towards me. He hated me. And it was not hard to pick up on it. The way he would always search for ways to hurt me. All the games he would suggest were in some way to hurt me, to make me suffer. There were days where he would have acted like a real brother to me, like the time he taught me how to drive and we both listened to music in the car and then, there were the other days. Turning into a Made man change him.

It was clear as a day. And I knew exactly why he did hate me.

Because of Dad.

"Evangelina!" I heard Dad's voice and my body shook with fear. He was calling me downstairs. This was definitely not good. Did he find out? It must be that.

Putting a hoodie over my pajamas, I tied my hair in a ponytail and looked at myself in the mirror. I turned twelve this year and I looked more mature. Mom said that I should not be walking around in tank tops and t-shirts anymore. Not even in front of Dad and Jovan.

I was supposed to cover up. I dusted off the hoodie and took a deep breath. You got this Eva. He won't hurt you. He won't hurt me, right?

"Evangelina!!" This time his voice was way louder.

Before he can get angrier, I had to go there and deal with it.

My legs were barely holding me while I walked down the stairs. I heard Terry's bark. He was my puppy and it was exactly why my Dad was looking for me.

I reached downstairs and heard chattering. I guess everyone was in the living room.

Dragging my trembling body there, the smell of smoke hit my nose. Dad was strict about no one smoking inside but I guess that rule doesn't apply today.

He was seated on the armchair, a cigar between his fingers. His suit jacket was off and he was leaning back. One leg over his other one.

Mom was standing by the couch, nervously tapping her foot on the marble floor. Terry in her hands.

And then Jovan. He was by the window, biting his nails, fear clearly written on his pale face. His hair was disheveled and he seemed restless.

"Finally." Dad rolled his eyes and took a drag of his cigar.

"You called for me папа." He nodded and placed the cigar on the ashtray that was placed on the small side table. (Dad)

"Mhm, I did. Do you know why?" Quietly I shook my head. I had an idea why but if it was not that, I was going to get even in more trouble.