𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐈𝐓'𝐒 𝐂𝐇𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐌𝐀𝐒 → 𝐌𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐂

💙

Light cold twisted each individual breeze, and ice hovered beneath the foggy cloak as fragments of snow clung on for dear life to the strength they carried. Dampened air toyed with the ripples of wind, drawing them out against the vibrant white and crisp, crystallised grey that dominated the skies. Faint flakes crawled to the tips of the abundance of fresh pine circling this home most illustrious to the outcome of our ever so gloriously festive story, as if the fluffy heavens showered gentle baking flour to a bun of bread.

This house stood proudly in the open, an ocean of gravel cutting it off from the forest, but still it held protection from the barricade of trees running from behind. Snow frosted the roof and ice broke into the cemented cracks keeping the bricks in firm place, sneaking like opaque vines down the edge and into the bundles of rocky shingle holding the building like an island. Glacial flakes popped out from their camouflage against the clouded sky, swirling in the breezes that grew heavier as the speed increased to eventually rest someplace among this setting and leave a miniscule but consequential addition to the existing snowfall.

The temperature brewing within the cosy construction was quite the opposite, the heat burning across the radiators pinned to the inner walls being enough to eliminate all the ice outside and any that dared to try and fall afterward. Inside it was roaring as if it were mid summertime, so the natural chill of the winter day felt overlooked, and rudely pushed aside. As the house grew taller, the warmth grew stronger, so it must have been uncomfortably stuffy for a certain hedgehog attempting to gain a couple minutes more of rest at the very top of the attic.

Sonic sniffed in his sleep, his little black nose twitching at the rim of his bed covers. He collapsed into slumber with the crimson sheets wrapped tightly around his chest, with his chin nestled to the top and his neck securely tucked underneath. His fingers peeked just over the stitches, and he could massage the material at the exact chunk of fabric the stuffed fibres began. It was soothing, and to this moment he still pinched where the bumps rose inside, although leant to his shoulder rather than his back. His tiny nose surely felt midway through some sort of spasm, and it inhaled a larger sniff under no fault of his own. Eventually he awakened, angrily rubbing the moist tip in an attempt to calm it down.

Abruptly, he slammed his eyes open and tossed himself back over, his spine curved into the mattress in that same place as if the cloth remembered it. Sonic gazed at the ceiling for a short while, hoping the frail twinkles within the glass bulbs of those garnishing fairy lights wound around the wooden poles joining it to the walls would become a return ticket to the land of nod. He prayed he could recover whereabouts he was, that sleep so deep he thought he was at the bottom of the seas, and with absolute certainty nothing would have the power to relieve him of it, rising him back to the surface. Then again, his nose never crossed his mind, the little thing usually controlling itself and keeping on its best behaviour, especially at a time like this.

Gelid air was strangled by the heated energy rising into the room, the ice from outside seeming nonexistent. Elements of the wintry atmosphere were eliminated the second any passed the glass of the circular and the thinnest panels to the wood of the attic ceiling. Sonic pushed the blanket away and left his body exposed to the clammy aura, his nose twitching harder as if struggling to adapt to the sudden heat. He flopped fully straight, and rested a hand to his stomach and the other over the edge of the ivory mattress. He craved to remove those gloves, but also kept it in the back of his mind as a last resort. He took an intentionally deeper sniff, and his nostrils were smooth and clear, although the room carried a burning scent.

Sonic's eyes were glazed in gold above the enticing emerald shade coating the crystallised irises from the fairy lights, and he took a tight sigh that puffed his chest up in the tan fur surrounded by the soft cerulean. His eyes ached at the corners, and could barely remain open. His vision seemed closed in as if the frost snaking up the bricklay iced them over from the inside, and his skull felt frozen also. He rubbed a thumb over the ridge separating his eyes, and was reluctant yet ready to leave the room. He dreaded to imagine what the time could be, and to predict how short his surprisingly heavy slumber had gone on for. He groaned, rising his body up and leaning his throbbing back against the frame running above the face of the bed.