Chapter 29

Astra:

Today, I was dragged along with Sophie and Jack to the bank. Supposedly, something about doing a deposit or something like that. I don't really understand, and quite frankly, I don't care.

"I really wish you and Tenko would begin talking again so we could all double date." Sophie tells me, breaking me out of my reverie.

"Once he apologizes for being a brat, I will," I respond, rolling my eyes.

Before Sophie could get another word out, an explosion rocked the entrance, and a giant of a man walked in. He was nearly six feet tall and incredibly muscular, with long black hair and military-like gear. Gauntlets covered both of his forearms, and a pair of goons with guns flanked him on either side.

"Everyone, get on the ground now!" The man demanded, his voice booming throughout the room.

We all complied with the order and got on the ground, feeling a bit uneasy as the man's gaze roamed around the room. I turned towards Sophie, who looked slightly shaken by the whole situation.

"Everyone stay down, this is a robbery, and no one has to get hurt," the man announced, his voice commanding and stern.

I was lying on my stomach, and the realization that I was completely powerless without a quirk hit me like a ton of bricks. I slid closer to Sophie, with Jack on the other side of her. "We need to get these people out of here!" I whispered, my voice urgent.
Jack turned to look at me from the corner of his eye, his expression solemn as he asked, "How are we going to get all the hostages out of here?"

We all kept our eyes glued to the goons for any sign they could pose a danger to us. One of them walked over to knock out one of the bank managers, making our group flinch. In the middle of the commotion, the key card fell out of the bank manager's pocket and dropped to the floor. It was our chance to escape.

As I lay on the floor, I watched the thugs enter the vault and start filling their duffle bags with money. All of their attention was on the money, making it the perfect opportunity for me to make my move.
With the goons distracted and excited about the money, I shuffled over to grab the key card, then quickly slipped back into place. Now, we just needed to find a way to use the key card to make our escape.

As we scrambled to come up with a plan, Jack suggested that he could distract the thugs while I opened the door, leading us to the exit.

He started complaining about stomach pains, which drew the attention of two of the thugs who went over to check on him. Meanwhile, Sophie gathered the small group of hostages and led them down the hall past all the office rooms towards the exit door.

As people began leaving the room single file, Sophie signaled for Jack to come with her, but he couldn't with the thugs still present. Sophie quickly grabbed a vase and threw it across the space, which distracted the goons. They yelled at Jack to get down and go investigate what that noise was.
He bolted towards Sophie as everyone prepared to exit the building. I used the key card to unlock the door, but as soon as I opened it, the fire alarm went off and caused panic throughout the room.

As I began ushering the hostages out of the building, I heard one of the thugs state that the hostages were missing. The man in charge responded by ordering his goons to pursue and prevent us from escaping. We had to hurry before they caught up to us and thwarted our plans. The hostages were running alongside me, trying not to linger and draw too much attention. I had to make sure they all got out safely. The goons' footsteps were getting louder and louder with each passing second. That's when the gunfire started.

The gunfire was deafening as we tried to escape the bank, with the thugs aiming their weapons towards the group of fleeing hostages. The main man was visibly enraged, and he shoved one of his goons forward to attack us. He launched three sharp saw blades down the hallway, with two missing their mark and the third landing on one of the hostages' shoulders. Jack turned around to help the wounded man and allow the group to escape outside.