One

Evangeline's POV

Walking through the campus of Bradshaw College, I see unfamiliar faces walking with Dean Ellen Turner. My older foster sister, Clara Hayes is a student here, majoring in Science while I was just taking a free art class. Dean Turner saw my drawings one day when she was speaking at my high school and offered me a place in the art class. Jeremy Evans walked over to me and I give him a small smile. He's friendly with Clara and they're in the same chemistry club here.

"Did the FBI speak to you yet?" Jeremy asked me and I shook my head in response. I don't speak to men because I've always feared them as they hurt me. If I need to answer their questions, I use ASL to communicate while not looking at them. I've known Jeremy for a while already and he's proven to be a good guy, so I can look at him. But my fear of verbally communicating with men was just too powerful.

"Why are they here?" I signed to Jeremy.

"Matthew Rowland was burned alive in his dorm last night." Jeremy responded, causing me to stiffen at the thought. When Clara was fifteen and I was twelve, our house was burned down and our foster father Lucas Hayes died. Ever since that day and because of Ellen Hayes' belief that God tested us, Clara has been obsessed with fire and the number three. She couldn't be the one setting the fire, could she? I mean she burns me all the time to "test me" but I don't think she would deliberately kill somebody.

"Evangeline, are you okay?" Jeremy asked me and I nodded before running down the hallway towards my art class. Bumping into someone, my glasses fly off my face and I couldn't help but panic.

"Sorry for bumping in you. Here are your glasses." A voice says before handing me my glasses and I put them on. Looking at the person, I see that it's a woman with blonde hair and blue eyes.

"I'm Agent Jennifer Jareau with the BAU." Agent Jareau says before showing me her badge.

"BAU?"

"Behavioral Analysis Unit." Agent Jareau tells me.

"Evangeline Marie Foster. I really have to get to my art class." I tell Agent Jareau before walking away.

                                             ***********************

Jennifer "JJ" Jareau's POV

"Obviously, I'd rather be meeting you under different circumstances. This is Fire Inspector Zhang." Dean Turner tells us, indicating to the man standing beside her. I can't help but think about Evangeline. She seemed to be in a rush to get to her art class and when I handed her glasses back, I saw fresh burns on her arms.

"This morning the chemistry department reported several bottles of highly flammable chemicals missing." Inspector Zhang tells us.

"I'm prepared to evacuate this campus." Dean Turner tells us,

"That brings with it its own problems. You might evacuate the arsonist as well."

"Then the case goes unsolved, the campus is reopened, but the fires start up again." Agents Elle Greenaway tells the Dean.

"Hotch, Gideon, hold on a second. You said the chemicals were missing today." Agent Derek Morgan tells the fire inspector, who nodded in response.

"It says here that one of the previous fires was set with diesel fuel that disappeared from the grounds keeping facility. How long after it disappeared was the fire set?" Derek asks the Dean.

"One day." Dean Turner tells us, causing Agents Aaron Hotchner and Jason Gideon to look at each other before walking away.

"Dean Turner, what do you know about Evangeline Foster?"

"Evangeline is eighteen years old and a former foster child. She has autism, ptsd, auditory and sensory processing disorders, has type one diabetes, has asthma and is hard of hearing." Dean Turner tells Elle and I.

"Do you think she would set the fires?" Elle asks Dean Turner.

"No way. Evangeline is the kindest soul on this campus. She's afraid of fires and men. If a man attempts to talk to her, she won't speak or look at them. If she has to answer a man's questions, she'll use ASL." Dean Turner tells us.

"What got her in the foster care system?"

"She was found in a garbage bin as a newborn baby. It was national news at one point and I only recognized Evangeline as that baby because she has the same red heart shaped birth mark on her right hand." Dean Turner tells us.

"What kind of student is she?"

"She only takes the art class here because she's a natural. So I pay for her classes, so she can build on that. If you want to speak to her, I'll call Evangeline into the office. But she'll only speak to women." Dean Turner tells us before walking away.

                                  ****************************

Evangeline's POV

"Clara, you killed Matthew." Clara grabbed my left arm and puts it on the stove, burning it.

"God's testing us Evangeline." Clara says and I pull my hand away from the stove.

"God is not real Clara. If he was, he would not have killed Lucas or let me be abused by evil foster families." Clara slapped me and I run out of her dorm room to the art room. My arm really hurts and I was trying not to cry. Sadly it doesn't work because the tears started streaming down my face and I could feel a sob bubbling in my throat. The fire alarm rings, causing a bunch of students  to run in the hallway, but Jeremy grabbed my hand and pulled me along. The two of us made it outside of the building and Jeremy lets my hand go.

"What happened?" I signed to Jeremy.

"Someone set Professor Wallace on fire." Jeremy says, referring to Professor Ralph Wallace. He always helped me with my high school homework so I could graduate with my class.

"Is he okay?" I signed.

"He's dead." Jeremy said and I began to cry.