Twenty-One

*this is Henry Jareau(Evangeline's adoptive uncle, JJ and Rosalyn's older brother, father of Sarah Jareau and the son of Sandy and Elliott Jareau)*

JJ's POV

"Eleven year old Billie Copeland was last seen on the playground at 4:30 yesterday afternoon." Our new case is in Wilmington, Delaware and Evangeline was promised more souvenirs from there. Henry, Sarah and my mother are on their way over to meet Evangeline. Evangeline was just doing some drawing in the living room.

"That's twenty hours ago. Child abduction response plan says we get notified immediately. What happened?" Hotch says, his voice cutting in through the speaker phone.

"There was reason to believe she was with her father. Her cell phone shows a call to him around the time of the disappearance."

"So they've since ruled him out?" Gideon asks, his voice cutting in through the speaker phone.

"He called the mother about an hour ago. He's on his way to the family home, so you can talk to him there. But the local police are now considering this a stranger abduction."

"Twenty hours late." Derek remarks, his voice cutting in through the speaker phone.

"Long-term stranger abductions of children Billie's age are rare. They represent only of one percent of all missing cases per year. But they are usually more likely to be fatal. Of the children that are abducted and murdered, 44% die within the first hour... From that point forth, their odds of survival greatly decrease. 75% are gone after three hours. Virtually all of them are dead after twenty-four." Spencer adds in, his voice cutting in through the speaker phone.

"Which means we have just under four hours to find her. We're going to go meet with the lead detective at the park where the girl was last seen." Hotch says.

"I'll find out what the press is running, see if I know any of them. We may need to manage what they put out."

"See what the uniforms know from the canvasses. Elle, I need you to be a liaison with the family." Gideon says.

"A liaison?" Elle asks when there's a knock on the door.

"I will get it Mama!" Evangeline shouts before running to the door.

"In a child abduction, the parents are likely to break down if we aren't careful." Gideon says before I hang up and walk over to the door. There stood mom, Henry, Sarah and Evangeline, who immediately walked back over to me.

"You've all met Evangeline?"

"She's even more adorable in person Jenny." Henry says, using his nickname for me.

"She is. Evangeline, why don't you show Sarah your room?" Evangeline nods and leads Sarah to her room.

"Henry, don't hope for that hug because she has to get used to men. She only recently started talking to men." The three of us entered the living room and mom notices Evangeline's sketchbook.

"Evangeline's a talented artist. Has she taken any classes?" Mom asks me.

"Only at the university where I found her. The dean found out that she had a natural talent and gave her free art classes."

"Maybe she can draw a portrait of the family." Henry suggested to me.

"Only if she wants to."

**************************

Evangeline's POV

"What's your bunny's name?" Sarah asks me while holding Juniper.

"Juniper. I had her forever." Sarah sits down on the bed and hands me Juniper.

"I don't know my mother but at least I had dad. I can't imagine someone leaving their child in a dumpster. Sorry Evangeline." Sarah says.

"You mean no harm. I do not want anyone to have the same fate that I had. I am glad that you have Uncle Henry." Sarah wrapped her arm around my shoulder and I leaned into her embrace.

"Aunt Jen is the kindest woman that I've ever met, well other than grandma. She's going to be a good mom to you." Sarah tells me.

"And you are the best cousin ever. Though I never had a cousin before."

"Me neither. The two of us could be sisters instead." Sarah suggests to me.

"I would like that."