Twenty-Six

Evangeline's POV

"You confessed to killing Riley. Why would you lie about killing your own son?" Jason asked Sarah while I stood outside the interview room.

"I didn't." Sarah says.

"Well, where's the body?" Jason asks her.

"Do you have any children?" Sarah asks him. Yes he has a son he doesn't see anymore...

"That's irrelevant. When you were working for the Doyle family in 1989, they had a foster daughter by the name of Evangeline Foster who they abused. That's until you rescued her and brought her to the police station." Jason asks her.

"What does that have to do with this?" Sarah asks Jason, who walks to the door and opens it. Entering the room, I see that Sarah has gotten a lot older since I last saw her and under her eyes had dark circles.

"Hi Jean."

"Evangeline? You've grown into a marvellous young woman." Sarah tells me.

"Thank you for the compliment and for rescuing me. I was recently adopted by Jennifer Jareau, who I believe is talking to your husband. You should not have to pay for a crime that you did not commit. Do you not want to see Riley again?"

"Riley does not deserve to know that we're his parents." Sarah tells me.

"Even if you die for a crime you did not commit?"

"I could have saved those girls and I chose not to because I was scared of Jacob. Evangeline, I didn't help those girls and instead lead them to their deaths, so I deserve to die. It'll give the families some justice and Riley won't have to know the truth about who his parents are." Sarah tells me.

"I do not like it, but I understand why you are doing this. You are truly a selfless person Jean for sacrificing your life for the happiness of Riley and the victims' families."

"You always had an innocent way of viewing the world, even when you've been through so much." Sarah tells me.

"You always told me that I should never let the monsters that hurt me win by becoming one."

"And it's clear that you aren't one." Sarah tells me.

"Did Riley also love it when you sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow to him? Just like I loved it when you sang it to me?"

"He did Evangeline. You two once met when you two were two years old. He came to work with me one day and you two would play tea party. You probably don't remember that, but it was the happiest that Riley was before I gave him away." Sarah tells me with a smile on her face.

"I remember that day. It was my favourite day at that house. I should get going Jean."

"Of course. It was lovely to see you again Evangeline." Sarah says.

"It was lovely seeing you again Jean."

***************************

JJ's POV

"Are you sure that she wants me to have the painting of Riley?" Evangeline asks me while Henry puts the painting up on Evangeline's wall. Gideon told me that Sarah wanted Evangeline to have it as a memory of the best day at her abusive foster family's house. Apparently his name is Byron Sheffield and he's got a scholarship for playing the cello.

"Gideon told me that she wanted you to have it and also her art set. He showed her the sketch that you made of her as an artist."

"I still don't understand why she would take the death penalty if she was innocent." Henry tells us.

"Because she did not want her son to live with knowing that his biological father was a murderer and that his biological mother did nothing to stop him until it was too late." Evangeline tells her uncle.

"She did two selfless acts. She saved Evangeline and her son, knowing that she wouldn't see them again." Evangeline sat on her bed and sighs while hugging Juniper tightly.

"I know you miss her little one. But she is in a better place and Jacob's rotting in hell for his crimes."

"Damn straight he is!" Henry says, causing Evangeline to burst into giggles.