Thirty-One

JJ's POV

"Walter Derbin, age fifty-two. His body was found in his cab in East Harlem. He was blindfolded and shot once in the chest. Death was caused by knife stab through his ear. The unsub broke off the handle with the blade lodged in his brain." Hotch says before handing me the remote. Evangeline was at home with my mother because it was late and mom wanted to spend more time with her. Yesterday Spencer got Evangeline five leather-bound sketchbooks and art supplies, things that she was grateful for. She wants to make a red velvet cake with a vanilla cream cheese frosting for Spencer and mom was teaching her how to do that.

"It's the same signature as two other murders. Rachel Holman, twenty-four, found in her apartment three weeks ago on the Lower East Side. And Kaveh Surrani, thirty. The police found him two weeks later in his painting studio in Hell's Kitchen."

"Different locations, different victimology. It's possible we're looking for someone who'll hunt indiscriminately." Hotch says.

"N.Y.P.D. have any leads?" Elle asks.

"He kills at night. There's no witnesses."

"Is the N.Y.P.D. feeling the strain?" Gideon asks.

"Well, they've withheld details so the press hasn't sniffed out a link between the murders."

"With no discernible victim patterns, the killer's practically impossible to stop." Derek says.

"Did you know the original Zodiac Killer actually continually changed his victims. Young, old, men, women, white, black." Spencer says.

"Exactly, and he killed for thirty years without ever being caught." Gideon says.

***************************

Evangeline's POV

"What are we doing Grandma?" Grandma was grabbing some ingredients for the red velvet cake.

"Well right now you are whisking the dry ingredients together. While I whisk the wet ingredients and then we'll mix them together." Grandma says and I begin to mix the dry ingredients together.

"Good job Evangeline. Now we have to mix everything together and then put red food colouring on it to make it red. I also got some blue food colouring for the frosting." Grandma says before mixing everything together.

"Grandma, what was Auntie Rosalyn like? Mama does not tell me much about what happened to her or who she was."

"Well your aunt was older than your mother, but they were also very close. Your mother loved butterflies and when she was little she would collect them in a jar. Roz would always help your mother with collecting the butterflies. Sometimes they would drag your uncle out to help them. The next time that I visit, I'll bring some pictures of them as children especially pictures of your uncle wearing a dress and makeup." Grandma tells me.

"That would be nice Grandma."