Nine

Evangeline's POV

"Ok, Franklin Park Des Plaines, yesterday afternoon. Three victims shot at distance. It's the third such shooting in two weeks." Mama said while handing everyone their files.

"A sniper?" Elle asks them.

"We don't use that word." Derek says.

"Why not?" Elle asks them.

"The public perception is that the FBI doesn't have an exemplary record with snipers." Mama replied.

"Besides, a sniper is a professional marksman. These guys aren't snipers." Aaron says and I couldn't help but wonder what to call them.

"What do we call them then?" Elle asks.

"Long distance serial killers or LDSK." Spencer says.

"How many of these guys have we caught using a profile?" Elle asks everyone.

"None." Jason responds.

"Two weeks, three shooting incidents, six victims, all shot in the abdomen. First and only fatality, Henry Sachs, married, father of three, was shot in a shopping centre parking lot. Nine days later, Doug Miller and Kevin Parks were playing basketball at a community centre. Franklin Park, four days later, Jerry Middleton, Kate Murray, and Tim Reilly. Des Plaines police have found no link between any of the victims." Aaron tells everyone.

"Ballistics?" Derek asks.

"He's using frangible rounds, which fragment on impact, making ballistics comparisons impossible." Aaron explains.

"The good news is that all the park victims are going to make it. The bad new is that none of them saw anything. However, one of the patients does have an intact bullet lodged in his spine." Mama says before putting me on her lap and began playing with my hair.

"What's the prognosis?" Jason asked Mama.

"There's a disagreement among surgical staff as to whether they can remove the slug without paralyzing the patient." Mama says and I laid my head on her shoulder.

                            ******************************

JJ's POV

"L.D.S.K.S are so rare, we haven't been able to build a standard profile. Here's what we do know: They're always male, and they frequently have law enforcement or military experience, and they always contact the police or the media." Hotch says. Evangeline was sitting on one of the officers' desks, drawing in her sketchbook.

"To take credit or relive the experience?"

"Both. All serial killers attempt to relive the ecstasy they get from their killings. Some use souvenirs taken from the victims, and others return to the dump site to interact with the body. Both modes require contact with the victim, contact which, by definition, long distance serial killers don't have." Gideon tells me.

"The beltway shooters left a tarot card at one of their crime scenes. Later they called a tip hotline, which ultimately led to their capture." Hotch added on.

"But our unsub hasn't contacted anybody." Derek pointed out.

"He will." Hotch responded.

"Until he does, what do we have?" Elle asks before looking over at Evangeline.

"Sometimes it's not what the unsub does that reveals the profile. Sometimes it is what they do not do." Gideon states.

"He doesn't kill his victims." Spencer says.

"Underkill's a unique signature." Gideon points out.

"The question is, does he shoot them in the stomach intentionally just to wound them, or is he just aiming at the biggest part of the target? Specifically, does the unsub lack the skill to make the head shot, or simply the will to take it?" Hotch says before I walk over to where Evangeline was and looked at her drawing. It was a portrait of Spencer with glasses and Einstein hair while holding a beaker.

"Spencer is going to love that, little one."

"What is Spencer going to love?" Spencer asks while walking over to us.

"Evangeline's drawing of you." Spencer looks at the drawing and smiles.

"I do love it Evangeline. Can I have it when you're done?" Spencer asks Evangeline.

"You can have it." Evangeline replies quietly before I kissed her forehead and frowned at how hot it was.

"Are you feeling okay?" Evangeline nodded before continuing her drawing.