Thirty-Four

Evangeline's POV

"Eva, did you know about my manager's death?" Lila asked me when she entered the living room with a towel around her head.

"No. Nobody told me because they know that I would have told you." Spencer enters the living room and sighs upon seeing Lila.

"Are you still... Are you okay?" Spencer asks her.

"Michael was like family. Other than Evangeline. It's just... So hard to trust people out here. You don't know who to believe. Everybody wants something from you. That's why I thought you were different. Evangeline and Michael never wanted anything from me and I could be my real self around them." Lila tells Spencer.

"I think his boss Agent Jason Gideon told him not to because he wanted to throw your stalker off the trail."

"You know... The last time I was able to fully trust someone was at Juilliard... Before I was... A somebody." Lila says, causing Spencer to grab her collage and place it on the coffee table.

"Juilliard... And didn't you say you used to live on Houston street? You were a waitress. You lived on Houston. I need to take this thing apart." Spencer tells her.

"What?" Lila says.

"He will put it back together Lila. It will help them find who is doing this." Lila nods at Spencer who began taking apart the collage.

"Guys." Spencer says when Auntie Elle and Derek run into the living room.

"Lila, it looks like someone's been stalking you for years." Derek tells her.

"Yeah, this tells your whole life story. Movie premieres, theatre playbills." Auntie Elle tells her.

"Everything since college." Spencer says.

"That is your country house, right there."

"Who gave you this collage?" Derek asks Lila who points to a man.

"That's the guy I went to high school with. Parker Dunley." Spencer says before Derek and Auntie Elle leave the house. Walking to the kitchen, I grab a soda from the fridge and begin to drink it when Spencer gets a call.

"Lila, do you know someone named Maggie Lowe?" Spencer asks, causing my whole body to stiffen at that name. When I was six, I was in a new school and met Maggie in my first grade class. She was always alone just like me and I felt bad for her, so I became her friend and one night I stayed at her house. Maggie poisoned me with drugs and her older sister had to drive me to the hospital. Later on I learned that Maggie was obsessed with me and that I had to move out of the state to stay safe.

"Mags? Yeah, of course I know her. I've known her for years. I got her a job on my show." Lila says, causing Spencer's eyes to widen when the phone rings.

"That's her calling right now." Lila says.

"Is she calling from a cell phone?" Spencer asks her and Lila nods.

"Spencer believes that she is the stalker and I believe him Lila. I will explain it to you later."

"Answer the phone, act completely natural. The longer you keep her on the line, the more we'll be able to trace the call. Trust me." Spencer says and Lila answers the phone while he calls Penelope.

"Hello? Hello, Maggie? Maggie, is that you? What's wrong?" Lila asks while it on speaker phone.

"I am so tired Lila. There's been so much upset, in the world really. I think it's just so tragic. All of it... I miss you. I just do." Maggie says.

"Mags. I saw you today." Lila says.

"It's never going to be the same as it was. It's just never going to be the same." Maggie says.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Lila says.

"I'm talking about that time in college. When the heat in your apartment was off and the two of us stayed in my dorm room. Don't you remember? You were playing Ophelia on the main stage. That was the happiest time of my life." Maggie says.

"Maggie... Sweetheart, that was only for a weekend." Lila says.

"The happiest time, and you don't know anything about me at all. And I did everything for you." Maggie says.

"Lila... How is she in the house?" Spencer asks her.

"She has keys." Lila says when Maggie enters the living room with a gun in her hands.

"Why'd you have to bring these people here? Put down the gun." Maggie says and Spencer does what she asked him to do.

"Maggie, she did not call the police. I did and told her what you were capable of. We were six years old when you poisoned me at your house with your mother's drugs. If it was not for your sister, I would have died."

"Evangeline Foster. The stupid girl that I became friends with as a child had to betray me." Maggie tells me.

"Come on, Lila. Let's go. We really got to go, baby. Come on." Maggie says to Lila.

"Maggie, don't hurt her. You don't need to hurt her." Spencer tells her.

"You don't know anything. I would never... Do anything to hurt you. No. I created you." Maggie says.

"Actually her parents did Maggie."

"God! I can't believe that I loved you." Maggie says.

"Maggie, she... She loves me, now." Spencer says.

"She does. They kissed in the pool and before that Lila and I kissed. She loves us now Maggie." I lied about Lila and I kissing and Spencer knew this, but I had to get her focus on me.

"No! She can't love freaks like you two!" Maggie shouts before shooting me in my left arm and I collapsed into Lila's arms. My vision started to get blurry and I could hear Lila crying while Spencer was handcuffing Maggie.

"Evangeline! We're going to get you help, just please stay awake." Lila begs me.

"Love you Lila. Promise me that you will not hide your real self anymore because everyone deserves to know the real you."

"Promise Eva." Lila says when everything turns black.

                                          ************************************

JJ's POV

"You were so brave my sweet little one. Spencer told me what you said in order to distract Maggie. He also told me what she did to you. I'm sorry that happened."

"It is okay Mama. Lila was a big sister to me, just like Auntie Rosalyn was to you. It was my turn to help her." Evangeline says as I wheeled her out of the hospital. Her left arm is broken along with the bullet hole in there. So I'm taking the next week off to make sure that she's okay, especially because she's going to be on pain medication. Lila walked over to us and I give her a smile. She wrapped my daughter's arm in her sweater to stop the bleeding and stayed with her until I got to the hospital.

"Are you going back to Virginia today?" Lila asked us.

"Not until tomorrow. Lila you saved my daughter's life and I can see why she wanted to be with you during the investigation."

"She never wanted anything from me but love and respect. Even as a little girl she just wanted to be with me all the time, but my stupid parents wanted me to act to support their drug addiction. Evangeline wanted to tell her social worker about that but I wouldn't let her because I didn't want my parents to be in trouble. Even at that young age Evangeline was extremely selfless and protective of the people she loved." Lila tells me.

"Lila is pretty Mama." Evangeline says while still a bit loopy from the anesthesia.

"She is and she's coming to see us next week." Evangeline smiled before cuddling Juniper close to her chest.

"She's all of those things and so are you. Lila you're an adult now and if you don't want to act anymore then you don't have to."

"I'm planning on doing that after my contracts are up." Lila tells me before kissing Evangeline's head.

"Love you Eva." Lila says with a fond smile on her face.

"Love you Lila." Evangeline says before closing her eyes.