Twenty-Four

Evangeline's POV

"We believe whoever poisoned these people was motivated by revenge." Aaron says to the Beechwood Police Department officers. I was drawing in my sketchbook while everyone was giving their profile of the person responsible for this.

"The randomness of the victimology average people in an average-sized town... All points to a local resident." Derek adds on.

"We know that people who poison for the purpose of revenge primarily act alone." Auntie Elle says.

"However, he may have manipulated someone close to him to assist him. The unsub usually disposes of these accomplices when they're of no further use to him." Aaron says.

"The unsub is like a cautious, deliberate, and highly-functioning male between the ages of thirty-five and fifty." Auntie Elle says.

"He chose LSD for a reason. LSD is about altering perception. We think that this unsub is striking out because he feels that he's been... Inaccurately perceived by the community or a subset of it." Aaron added on.

"He feels that these attacks will effect and alter a reality that he is caught in, that he perceives to be unjust." Derek says.

"He's so self-centred he believes his victims will know the reason for the attack and who did it." Aaron says while I look up from my sketchbook at him.

"This individual was savvy enough to use rohypnol to obstruct our investigation, erasing the memories of the victims of how they were poisoned." Spencer says, causing my stomach to clench at a painful memory of what happened to me. When I was still living with Clara, sometimes she and her mother would bring men home to hurt me. One time Clara gave me a glass of milk and the next thing I remember was waking up to her boyfriend raping me.

"Hold on.  If this guy believes that his victims know who he is, why is he covering his tracks?" Hanover asks.

"Because these victims aren't his primary targets." Jason explains.

"We know from precedent that this kind of offender, the "avenger," tests his weapon first. This attack was a test run." Aaron says.

"A test run for what?" Hanover asks.

"We don't know yet. What we do know is that this is not the first time that he's aired his grievances. While it's not likely that he has a criminal record, it is possible that he has filed criminal charges or pursued a civil action against his perceived adversaries. And, now, to measure the results of his test, he's watching. And he wants to see the results of his test. Once he has them, all those years of pent-up rage will be released in the form of a larger attack. The profile indicates a lot of people could die." Aaron answers when Mama walks over to us.

"We have a leak." Mama says, causing me to look at her in confusion. Where's the water if there's a leak?

*******************************

JJ's POV

"What happened earlier when we gave the profile?"

"I am confused Mama. Can you please explain more?" Evangeline asks me.

"When we talked about Edward Hill using rohypnol on his victims, you looked like that happened to you."

"It did. Back when I was living with Clara and her mother, they would bring men home to rape me. One day Clara gave me a glass of milk and the next thing I remember is her boyfriend on top of me, raping me." Evangeline explained to me before climbing onto my lap and I hugged her tightly.

"I'm sorry this happened to you little one. I won't let anything happen to you anymore." Evangeline tugs on my pyjama top and I take it off so she can breastfeed from me. Evangeline latches on to my breast and begins breastfeeding from me.