Twenty-Three

Evangeline's POV

"This happened two days ago in Beechwood, New Jersey. Mr. Fisher had ingested LSD one afternoon and didn't come down until eighteen hours later." Aaron tells everyone while I try not to cry at the sight of the injured little boy.

"The hospital reported six other patients who ingested LSD in the last twenty-four hours. The hospital called the CDC, the CDC called us." Mama tells everyone before hugging me.

"So, a bunch of people got spiked.  What makes it a BAU case?" Derek asks.

"They each received ten to twenty times the normal dose." Aaron replies.

"It's enough to kill a small child." Spencer says.

"Or cause a grown man to kill him with a tire iron." Auntie Elle says before giving me a smile.

"Of the seven victims, there was one death and one coma. This is from the hospital's security footage the same night Fisher lost it." Mama says.

"These people didn't get spiked. These people were poisoned." Jason says before I get up and go to Mama's office where Reese was waiting for me.

"So did you enjoy your break?" Reese asks me.

"I got to meet my Uncle Henry, my Grandma Sandy and my cousin Sarah. They were all very nice to me."

"That's great. I'm glad you have more family that you can trust." Reese tells me.

"Me too. Before my break, I went back to a city where my former foster family lived. My foster father, John was happy to see me and I was happy to see him. But not his son Cory, who kidnapped me in an attempt to rape and murder me. When Auntie Elle and Jason rescued me, they saw me in my birthday suit and it made me feel like they were laughing at me."

"It's alright to feel that way, but from what JJ told me they were concerned about you and your safety." Reese tells me and I sighed.

"I know that, but I still felt that way though. Can we end this session for today?"

"Of course Evangeline." Reese says before walking out of the room.

****************************

JJ's POV

"Well, he's raw, broken, and seriously pissed off." Gideon says, referring to Jack Fisher who attacked his son while high on LSD. Evangeline was drawing in her sketchbook while listening to music on her mp3 player.

"He didn't hurt the son to get back at the mother?" Hotch asks him.

"Not consciously, no. Rage was real but understandable... And he never apologized... When he lost control, he didn't even say, "Eric, I'm sorry." He said, "Eric, why'd this happen to you?" He never even confessed to hurting the kid." Gideon says.

"So, the drugs tapped into the rage but didn't cause it?" Hotch asks.

"Yeah, that's my guess." Gideon says.

"That's consistent with the information we just received from the lab tox screens. They didn't find any trace of PCP or any other drug indicating the unsub was intentionally trying to make people violent. But they did find traces of rohypnol in all the victims." Spencer adds on.

"A central nervous system depressant, similar to valium, only ten times more potent. It's commonly known as a "roofie" or a date-rape drug." Elle says.

"Right, and one of its side effects is amnesia, which explains why none of the victims remember how they were poisoned." Spencer says.

"We compared notes on the victims we talked to. So far there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to who got hit. Maybe the drugs themselves could explain what type of offender we're dealing with. A lot of kids are using LSD and rohypnol these days. Fisher is a high school teacher." Derek says.

"So it might be a prank after all." Gideon says.

"Yeah, one that went horribly wrong."

"Yeah, I'm going to get a list of students from Fisher. See you later." Elle says before going to walk away when Hotch's phone rings.

"Hotch... Okay... We'll be right there... Cops may have figured out where everybody was dosed." Hotch says before I grab Evangeline and all of us headed to Beechwood Police Station. When we arrive at a cafe, we see Detective Hanover and walk over to him.

"Uniforms were on a canvas. Staff here remembers seeing four out of the seven victims here the day they reported symptoms." Hanover tells us.

"Please tell me your staff didn't mention the canvas was about a poisoning."

"They didn't, but I had to tell the owner." Hanover tells us, indicating to a woman near us.

"Is that the owner?" Gideon asks him.

"Nell Trucco." Hanover tells us.

"I'll be shocked if this doesn't get leaked now."

"Let's just hope nobody jumps to the conclusion it's bio-terrorism." Hotch says while Evangeline goes to sit down at one of the tables.

"All right, I'm going to go talk to the cafe staff. Make sure they know to keep it quiet."