THREE

ZANDER

I panted heavily as my foot landed in a puddle, splashing water up my leg, I couldn't stop to dell on it as the two men shouted at me to stop. Why do I always have to speak my mind? I thought as I continued to run away, pushing myself to go fast without using too much werewolf speed.

⇇ ⇉

To say I was nervous about meeting with members of the City Crows would be an understatement. I didn't know much about them because my first few months in the city I stayed cooped up in my apartment, scared that he would find me.

I was meeting with two members of the biggest local mafia in the city. Although they looked like they could kill me with one pinkie, before they knew I was there I saw something very interesting. The taller of the two had the shorter pinned against some boxes, slowly grinding their hips together as he whispered what had to be some very dirty things to the man under him.

Before I watched any more and got my own situation in my pants, I backed up and made a loud noise. "Hello?" I called out, "I was told to meet James and Charlee?"

By the time I walked into the warehouse and was in sight of them, they had fixed themselves and were standing confidently with their hands in their own pockets. "Zander Day?" I nodded. "Good why don't you tell us why you need the money." He said getting straight to the point.

After explaining that I couldn't get a job and was about to be homeless, they nodded. They turned away from me and began to whisper to each other.

"I'm sure that the boss would be alright with giving him a loan. But if he doesn't have a job, how is he going to pay us back?" Charlee whispered to James. They weren't very far from me so it wouldn't raise any red flags if I commented.

Trying to lighten the thick, serious mood of the warehouse I jokingly said, "I could always use my body to pay you back," They both turned around to glare at me with looks of disgust. I let out an uncomfortable laugh as I took a small set back, holding up my hands in defense. "I didn't realize you'd be homophobic considering ya'll were just getting it on."

Their eyes grew dark as they took a step forward, the taller one, James, said "What the fuck did you just say to us?"

"Shit," I muttered before turning and running like my tail was on fire.

As I was running away I heard Charlee yell out, "Quick catch him! Boss can't know!"

⇇ ⇉

I knew that I didn't need to run from them. All I had to do was shift and then they would be the ones running. But the only issue I had with that was, I didn't have many clothes and I wasn't about to shorten that list by shredding the ones I had on.

I let out a shout as I tripped over my own feet, cursing my clumsiness. I tried to get back up to run but a foot kicked my back and held me down.

"Look Charlee, the bitch knows his place, under us," James sneered. Before I could say anything in response, he kicked me hard in the side. I groaned and turned to my other side to try and shield myself.

What kind of werewolf was I? Stuff like that shouldn't hurt, they were human- I wasn't. A normal werewolf should be able to take two humans with no issue. My problem? I wasn't a normal werewolf, I was a weakling, I always had been. I had tried to workout when I was younger to gain some muscles but nothing helped, it was like the Moon Goddess wanted me to be weak.

I hope my mate is strong enough for the both of us. The thought made me think of him, causing me to shiver in disgust. I needed to stop associating him with the word mate. He couldn't have been my mate, I felt nothing towards him except for fear. I felt no sparks when we touched, his touch only made my skin crawl. His scent wasn't appealing to me in the slightest, it was like rotting fruit, like there should've been flies circling him at all times.

My mate can't be someone I fear. They need to be someone I love and respect, someone that will love me and keep me safe without trying to lock me up away from everyone. My mate needs to be someone I like. I thought desperately, while hoping that I would live past these two men long enough to meet my mate.

"Awe, look at him shiver. I bet he likes being hurt." James wound his foot up to kick me again, I curled into myself tighter to brace for impact but it never came. I opened my eyes to see Charlee behind James, holding his shoulder.

"If he likes pain, maybe we should take him to the boss." They both looked down at me and gave me evil smiles. James kicked me hard in the head, knocking me out. As if my day couldn't have gotten worse.

 As if my day couldn't have gotten worse