TWENTY-FIVE

ZANDER

My eyes snapped open as the sound of shouting and gunfire came to my ears. I gasped as Cain jumped out of bed, gun in hand, he looked down at me with wide, alert eyes. He leaned down, cupped my face in his hands and kissed me gently. "Stay put." He commanded before he left the bedroom in haste.

It was an order, I knew that and I knew that if I disobeyed his order I would've gotten punished. But I also knew that there was no way I could've sat there and done nothing if my mate was in trouble. I had to do something, anything; I had to help.

I quickly got out of bed and followed after Cain, completely forgetting that I was in a nighty and lace panties. It really broke the rules, but I wasn't thinking. All I could think about was Cain getting hurt in a way that I could've prevented. So instead of torturing myself by sitting and watching or sitting and waiting, I joined the fight. I just had to hope that no one saw me before I shifted.

I managed to sneak downstairs without becoming a target for any stray bullets. Being shot by a normal bullet wouldn't kill me but it still would've hurt like hell. Once downstairs, I saw Cain's men taking cover behind flipped tables and couches, pointing and firing their weapons out the broken windows.

I shifted and attached myself to Cain's side. He was sitting on the floor with a flipped table to his back, Soren was next to him on his knee firing his gun. Cain's eyes widened at the sight of me, before they formed into a glare. He opened his mouth to shout at me, I'm sure, but paused when the gunfire outside stopped.

It was so suddenly silent it felt like my ears were ringing. Our men were panting, trying to catch their breaths, a few were groaning in pain from being shot.

Cain looked at Soren and quickly asked, "What do we know?"

"I know as much as you do, we were in bed when the shooting started. I came down here to see most of this damage done." I titled my head in confusion. Was Soren in a relationship? I had never heard him talk about being with someone before. I looked at Cain to see that we shared the same confusion.

Cain opened his mouth to continue talking to Soren but stopped when the piercing sound of a speaker came from outside. I whined and shoved the top of my head into Cain's stomach, trying to cover my ears. Cain tried to sooth me by running his hand through my fur.

"I don't want to cause any more damage than I already have. I'm just here for that disgusting monster. No one else needs to die." It was Gavin, the leader of the Ravens speaking.

"Fuck off while you still can." Cain shouted, "You're not getting anywhere near my pet." He moved his arm further around me, his fingers gripping my fur.

"Do you really want to stop me from protecting humanity?"