TWENTY-TWO

ZANDER

My eyes snapped open and my breathing picked up in pace as I jerked awake from a nightmare. I quickly jerked my body toward Cain who was sleeping peacefully next to me. But once the sound of my distress made it to his ears and my skin touched his, he jerked awake and reached a hand to the gun he kept under his pillow.

I honestly hated that he kept it in our bed while we slept, but there wasn't anything I could've done to get him to move it. "What's wrong?" he quickly asked, he calmed down and set the gun back in its place when he saw that it was just us in the bedroom.

"I-I had a nightmare," I whispered, causing his face to soften. He quickly pulled me into his arms.

"Oh, puppy, do you want to talk about it?" he asked gently.

I shook my head, "just hold me, please?"

The dream was about him, I couldn't tell Cain. How could I look Cain in the eye and tell him how a man had been obsessed with me since I was 10 years old. I didn't know how Cain would react, would he be protective of me or disgusted that I somehow attracted a man before going through puberty.

Of course, the logical side of my mind knew that Cain would never blame me for the sickness of another, but I couldn't help but think the worst.

I sighed happily, the stress in my shoulders slowly melting away as I breathed in my mate's scent.

Did you really think that you could hide away from me? I told you that I would always find you, mate. His voice flowed into my head like an intrusive thought causing my eyes to snap open and the stress to come back.

It wasn't possible; I had run away and left the pack. There was no way that the pack link was still connected to me. He held no connection or power over me anymore.

I'll be coming for you soon, baby. As much as I loved this little game of hide and seek, it's time for you to come home.

"No, no, no," I began to chant and shake, crying. I could hear Cain asking what was wrong but it was background noise. I felt like I couldn't breath, my chest was tight; I felt like I wasn't in control of my own body.

I barely felt his hands on my face as he forced me to look at him, "Zander. Stop." He demanded strongly and everything stopped. I stopped shaking and gasping for breath, hell I stopped breathing. "Breathe." I slowly drew in a breath. If I didn't know any better, I would've said that Cain was able to use an alpha command on me.

"S-sorry." I whispered softly.

"Alright, baby. I'm not going to ask this time. You are going to tell me what the fuck all of that was, alright?"

"Yes Sir. I-I need to tell you about myself. About before I came here and met you." I took a deep breath and crossed my arms, holding myself. "I need to tell you about Alpha Peter."

(Note from my Partner: "His name is Peter F. Isle")