ten - azriel

I wasn't expecting to catch the scent of jasmine and peonies when I left Flora. I wanted to go down to the distillery for a bottle of the nastiest whiskey before returning to Velaris. I'd followed her, the small cloak slipping in and out of people down the red district. Before she could have the chance to climb the porch of the distillery, I wrapped an arm around her and dragged her between the two buildings.

Freyja screamed, but I put my hand over her mouth before it caught too much attention. I was pissed. Not only because I caught her, but because Flora crossed the one line I had drawn for her. I'd left her room covered in my own blood, pissed that she had the audacity to grab a handful of my hair. I'd told her to behave when she asked not to be restrained, but she didn't listen. Now, I left frustrated and sticky beneath my gloves.

"What do you think you're doing?" I asked Freyja, leaning in as I tugged her hood down. I felt the stiffness to her body cease, relaxing against hands that didn't deserve it. I stepped back, meeting her eyes. Gods, how broken was she? There was no emotion to her eyes. They were dull and practically lifeless. How much had changed in the days we were gone?

"It's none of your business," she snapped. I frowned- I couldn't help it. I'd never seen her like this. Even when she was a silent ghost in the background, she never looked this dead.

"Was taking the wine from your room not enough to tell you that you shouldn't be drinking?"

"I am not a child, Azriel. I am so tired of being treated like one. If I want to forget who the fuck I am for a night, I'm allowed to!"

I didn't expect that. I didn't expect the princess to feel the need to forget who she was. Yes, her life wasn't perfect, but were the accommodations not enough to keep her satisfied? Her face twisted into frustration as she wriggled against my hold. I tightened my grip on her waist, pulling her against me. There was something about her scent, the way she felt. I didn't mind the way her nails clawed at my arm. That frightened me.

"Let go of me!" She shrieked, not caring that we were still in the eyes of the public. Mother forbid she be seen pressed against a wall by a lesser male.

"Shut up," I seethed. Her jaw snapped shut, empty eyes glaring at me. "Explain to me why you feel the need to get drunk when you know damn well what happened to you the last time."

Her lips parted, chest deflating as she exhaled. I rose a brow, glancing between her eyes. "I requested to go spend time with Rhys in Velaris. My father denied me, and then told me that my mother and I aren't able to return to Windhaven because of too many murders. I'm stuck here. I can't- I can't do that sober, Az. I need an escape."

My wish to see her emotions fled. My chest aches at the rise of tears in her eyes. She didn't like Windhaven, but it was better than a palace at the top of a mountain and a wretched city beneath. Mor was in Velaris, so she couldn't help Freyja. I felt the guilt of being the reason she couldn't leave like spikes in my throat. I'd been letting out some of my tension by slaughtering those who assaulted females. In my mind, it was just and right, but in other's- the High Lord- it was inexcusable. It looked like careless murder.

"Frey-."

"I can't do it, Azriel. I cannot sit in that home and listen to my mother pretend there is love in marriage when my father returns to bed with a different female in the night. I cannot sit there and have my father scold me for using the wrong fork or telling me that I am an idiot for wishing to walk the streets of the Hewn City for entertainment. I'm going to do something foolish if I stay, I know I will. I can't-."

She cut herself off with a hiccuping sob, crashing forward. I nearly stumbled in surprise as she pressed her face into my chest. Something foolish. I wanted to know how far that statement stretched. Would she find herself in the arms of a stranger again, or would she jump without her wings?