fifty three - freyja

Waking in an unfamiliar bed, naked and alone, I was terrified. Hair stuck to my lips, laying on my back, my eyes peeled open. The memories flooded in as I shifted my legs, whimpering. I'd never known such cruelty. And it wasn't only for myself, but Tamlin had been affected, too. My lips were dry as I parted them, coughing as I breathed in my hair.

I didn't just feel broken. I was broken. After that, I was nothing. I had no dignity, no grace, no sense of self. There was no fight, not anymore. My hands fell to the blankets beneath me, sprawling out as my back arched to the pain. It took all of my strength to sit up and push to the edge of the bed. Pained whimpers left me, my head falling forward. I hadn't healed quickly, not with the neglect I'd given myself. I'd snuck a few bites of food throughout the week, but nothing beyond that. My body had nothing to fuel it's fast healing.

Pain shooting through my body as I stepped to the floor had me crying out. I gritted my teeth, sucking in shallow breaths. I'd give my life to never feel this again. I'd give anything.

I wanted to scream when I saw the bloodied robe, sheer material crumpled from my sleep. I wasn't even sure I'd slept, more so sure I'd gone unconscious after Tamlin left. Disgust roiled through me as I pulled the robe on, the fabric dry and stiff where my blood lay. He had left me. I understood that Tamlin had as little choice as I, but he had left me there.

I felt the tears burning my throat but I didn't want to cry. It solved nothing. I'd still be captive, I'd still be forced to marry, and I'd still be torn open. My breath hiccuped as I slowly pulled the door open, peering out into the empty corridor. I was relieved to know nobody had been waiting for me.

My breath hitched with each step, pain lancing through me. I limped into the bathing chamber, falling back against the door as it closed. I hoped that had been the final act forced upon me. I hoped it meant Emyr and Dafid would never touch me again, that Carys would stop her incessant belittling.

I bathed, though it soothed nothing. The warm water was jarring against my torn skin, the water turning a haze of crimson. I wrapped myself in a towel, refusing to look in the mirror. I didn't want to know what I became after that. I couldn't.

I felt such agony in my chest, head tipping back as I clutched the fabric to my skin. I wanted to go home. I'd suffer the wrath of my father if it meant staying away from these monsters.

My head pounded as I limped out of the bathing chamber, turning to Tamlin's door. My hand lifted, hardly settling on the handle before an arm was around my waist. No, Mother, please no.

Hadn't it been enough? Hadn't I given everything-

"Come with me."

Emyr's voice was in my ear, a body pressed against my back. I whimpered, shaking my head. I didn't want more, I couldn't give them any more of myself.

His arm tugged at my waist, dragging me back from Tamlin's door. Despite my pain, terror seized me. I thrashed, clawing at the arm. Emyr hissed though he didn't drop me. Cries tore through my chest as I fought, but my injuries and my lack of food drained me too quickly.

"Please," I begged, trying to gain footing. The towel was slipping from my body. The heel of my foot connected with his knee but still, he didn't drop me.

"Tam is on a ride off of the estate with our father. You're ours for the day," Emyr laughed. I didn't fail to notice that he was bringing me down the stairs. Oh Gods, oh Gods.

Tears were already streaming down my cheeks, my fingers hardly moving as I tried to claw him. I was exhausted, broken. I had no fight.

"Nice and clean for us?" I heard Dafid's voice. My head fell back, chest rising and falling in panicked breaths. My eyes wildly swung around the room, realizing we were in the sitting room. My muscles ached, body too limp. Fight, Freyja.