fifty six - azriel

Who I saw in front of me was not Freyja. It was a husk; a shell of a female once so bright. I'd seen hints of a broken piece of her several times in the last months, but this- this was nothing I'd seen before.

I'd kill them all.

The female clinging to Tamlin's arm did not hold him out of adoration or love. No, she clung to him for stability. She wouldn't be standing if his arm did not hold her. The breath that left me hurt like none I'd ever felt. Her eyes didn't meet mine, they skipped over me and Rhys before falling back to the floor.

Her hair was wet and flat to her head, stringy pieces sticking to the hollows of her cheeks. She held no color to her skin, her lips, her eyes. The dress she wore, one I'd seen on her before, hung like it was not meant for her. I knew Odessa had made that dress perfectly fit for her body, but not this body.

"It has been two weeks," Rhysand seethed beside me, the creature looming beneath his skin threatening to explode. Cassian stiffened, widening his stance as though readying himself to stop us.

"I understand," Tamlin spoke, though his words came out as though it pained him to speak. I wanted to slaughter him, though I could see how much it disturbed him that Freyja was in this state. Judging by the bruises and cuts on his face, he did not have a choice in this.

Tamlin moved then, urging Freyja to the settee. A sound rumbled in my chest at the tremor in the skirt of her gown as if she could hardly walk. I couldn't stop myself. Cassian didn't see me as I let the shadows swallow me and I stepped through their realm and to the seat. Freyja's gasp was rattling as I caught her other arm. Oh, Gods, her bones felt brittle. Tamlin stiffened again.

"Unhand my bride," he spoke through gritted teeth, but I could hear the shake in his voice. He stood no chance against me. My eyes shot to him as a snarl tore through me.

"You have yet to marry her, Tamlin. I will help her sit if I wish," I spat.

"Azriel," Cassian boomed from behind me. His voice held a command I refused to listen to. Not while Freyja's entire body shook as her knees bent. She collapsed onto the settee, chest rising in a heavy breath.

"Have you been giving her food? Water? Cauldron, she's dehydrated and malnourished," I ground out. Tamlin swallowed hard as he slowly sat beside her. I didn't miss the way she flinched as his hand looped around her waist.

"We've been providing Freyja with all necessary sustenance. She has... She has denied all offers."

My eyes snapped to Freyja. I looked her over, her hands folded in her lap and eyes cast to her skirt. Why wouldn't she look at me? I wanted to grab her face and force those blue eyes on mine. She'd given up. I saw that now, she gave up on herself, on me, on us.

"Azriel," Cassian spat again. I looked over my shoulder, ready to scream at him to leave me alone with her, but I saw the look in his eyes. He'd moved in front of Rhysand, his eyes wide and focused on me. Rhys was feeding off my emotions, building up his own rage and concern. I let out a slow breath, falling back a step.

Odessa was waiting. It was only a matter of time.

I couldn't look at her again. As I stepped back to my brothers, my entire body vibrated with the need to hold her, to protect her. Seeing Tamlin's hand resting on her hip, pulling her body into his side, I wanted to rage. I wanted to tear his limbs off, to shred his fucking skin.

"Please, sit," Tamlin croaked. His fear was apparent and it made me smile. The way his eyes flickered to my face as Cassian forced Rhysand onto the opposite chaise, I knew it was more of a baring of my teeth than a grin.