thirty seven - azriel

"Come on, Az. Get it together," Cassian snapped at me.

We were sparring, but I couldn't get over the strange sensation in my stomach. I thought I'd eaten something bad, but it wasn't a rolling ache. It was a constant clench in my muscle as though my body was preparing me for something horrible.

"I'm sorry, I don't feel well," I muttered. Cassian just huffed and readied himself again. I sighed and followed his lead. We went through the motions again slowly. As we began moving faster as though truly in battle, Cassian's blunt sword hit the back of my knee again. He let out a growl and pulled back from me, running fingers through his sweaty hair.

I'd been lost in my mind, unable to focus on my movements. Cassian had gotten the better of me each round.

"I didn't sleep last night. I need a nap," I grumbled, tossing the sparring blade off to the side.

"You're not acting in earnest, Azriel. Come on, let's just keep trying. Maybe we need to stretch first," Cassian whined, his lip pouting out like a child. I rolled my eyes.

"We've been at it for hours, Cass. I'm just not feeling well. Go find Rhys."

"Rhys hasn't been home, Az. Please? I'll let you win," he tried to bribe. He didn't often need to "let" me win, which showed me just how badly I needed rest. Even at my worst, I'd been a decent sparring partner. I guessed it had something to do with the way my body and soul yearned to be with Freyja again.

"Later, Cassian. Do your weight training if you're so eager to exercise," I pointed out, lifting a brow. He opened his mouth to argue, but a crash from inside the House interrupted us. We both glanced to the door, a moment of confusion, before we both darted inside.

The sound came from down the corridor of the bedrooms. Cassian and I raced toward Rhysand's room. We both knew something had happened. There was a tightening in my chest like I'd been dealt a fatal blow. Cassian shoved against Rhysand's door, his shoulder breaking it open.

"Rhys?" Cass spoke out as we both went in. Rhysand was sat on the edge of his bed, his face in his hands. My lips parted but I couldn't get a word out. There was a thickening to the air and I felt terrified. I knew it was something to do with Freyja. It was the only thing that could have him like this.

"He found her," Rhysand croaked out. My heart stopped. I stared at the top of his head, the floor seeming to tilt beneath me. He found her. Alcaeus found her? Where was she? Was she safe? Was she injured?

"Thank the Mother," Cassian blew out, dropping to a knee beside our brother. Rhysand let out a horrid sound; a wheezing that reminded me too much of when he had broken down those weeks ago. Rhysand fell to Cassian's shoulder, his body trembling. I didn't know what to do. I needed to go find her.

"Where was she?" I croaked, hoping the answer would tell me if Rhys knew I'd helped her or not.

"The cabin. I've flown over it countless times, I don't know how I missed her," Rhys muttered, lifting his face from Cassian's shoulder. The male patted our brother's back before standing again and returning beside me.

"How'd they find her?"

"My father said that a few warriors noticed a glow inside the windows. She was cooking, I guess. I don't know," Rhysand answered. My pulse began to quicken.

"Have you gone to visit her?"

He shook his head. "Not yet, my father just told me. He said they found her last night. He nor my mother had gone into her room since then."

"Why don't you go? We can join you just in case your father does something. We won't interrupt, will we, Az?" I shook my head, grateful that Cassian was the one to offer. I wanted to see her, to make sure she was alright. I wanted to steal her away.