fifty eight - azriel

Rhysand had no hesitation in his grip. The talons I knew he hid beneath his skin dug into my neck, his teeth bared.

"I- I don't kno-"

"Don't lie to me!" He shouted, tightening his hold. I felt like my eyes bulged, my chest vibrating with the need to suck in air.

"Rhysand."

Cassian's demanding voice rose from behind Rhysand. There was no stopping a male ready to protect his family, though. Rhysand's teeth ground together in front of me, a hatred I'd never seen directed at myself filling his eyes.

"Windhaven," I croaked, unsure if the word came out clear. Rhys shoved me back into the wall before tearing his hand from my throat. He turned to Cassian, body stiff as though he were about to make an order.

"With Odessa. She's- Freyja's with your mother. She isn't safe here, Rhys. You need to understand that," I rasped, rubbing my throat.

"You think I don't know that? You think I'm fine with my sister staying in this fucking manor? I saw her, Azriel. But I am thinking with my responsibility in mind; mine and hers. You may have just assisted in an act of war."

"Is war not worth her safety?"

Rhysand spun, fury-filled eyes directed on me.

"Her safety is worth everything, but what of the innocents in our court? Aled will tear the Night Court apart for this. It was one thing to hide her away, but to steal her from her betrothed?"

Cassian stepped forward and laid a hand on Rhys's shoulder. Our brother flinched, though his eyes didn't fall from me.

"Tamlin heard you yell. He knows she is gone," Cassian muttered. All of our eyes turned to the corridor. It was true- Tamlin stood there, throat bobbing as he gripped the decanter of whiskey. Rhys cursed under his breath.

"Tamlin, you understand I did nothing, right? I'd been here with you."

"I know. I know it wasn't an act against our court." Tamlin's eyes shifted to me. "I don't blame you for wanting her out of here. If it was only myself in this manor, she would be well cared for, but I have no power here. I can't protect her. I don't love her like you do, but I would've taken her away, too."

My throat ran dry at his words. Love her. I did. I loved Freyja and I'd go to war for her. I'd end this court and the next to keep her safe. She was, for now. I couldn't help the suspicion in Tamlin for knowing she was gone and that I'd assisted her escape.

My hesitation cost me. I pushed from the wall the moment Rhysand walked to the blonde male. His hand clapped onto Tamlin's shoulder.

"I trust you. You know I do. I trust that you want her as safe as I do, so I trust you will not mention it to anyone. As far as you know, Freyja left supper for bed and was not there when you joined her. Do you understand?"

Tamlin nodded. "Yes, I do. I want to keep her from here. An alliance is not worth what has been done to her."

"There's no alliance needed, right? We're friends," Rhysand urged. The way he looked into Tamlin's eyes had me suspecting he was using some sort of compulsion, but his eyes flickered to Cass and I.

"Right."

Rhysand nodded, turning back to me. "They won't be safe in Windhaven. It's the first place my father will look."

I cleared my throat as I looked over his shoulder at Tamlin. I didn't trust him to know the truth of our plan. He may consider them friends, but he already claimed he had no power here. They'd beat the truth out of him.