forty one - freyja

"I'm glad we could reach this agreement."

I stared at the plate of roast chicken and vegetables in front of me. Both of my hands clutched cutlery, resting on the table. I'd lost. I was empty now beyond the feeling of guilt eating away at me. I was sat between my father and Tamlin, who had yet to speak besides the polite niceties.

I listened to myself breathe. I didn't know what conversation was happening, beyond Aled continuously speaking his appreciation for my father's kindness. That 'kindness' was what brought me here to stop the possibility of war between courts.

In, out. I counted through each breath, wondering if knowing I breathed was proof that I lived.

"She's a unique creature. Eyes are too big, but her mouth seems to even it out," Aled murmured. My eyes lifted from my plate to meet his gaze across the long table. His two older sons were sat on either side of him and his wife, my father and I at the opposite end of the table.

He and his sons were studying me like I was a prized mare being presented. I exhaled and returned my gaze to my plate.

"She takes after her mother. A unique beauty, it's what urged me to marry Odessa," my father responded. I wondered how my mother reacted to that comment, though I didn't look up to see.

"She is not as proportionate as the females I've seen in your villages. Does she not get exercise?" Aled asked. My fingers tightened around my knife and fork.

"Freyja gets in her walks, occasionally she runs," my father answered, voice tight as if he wished for me to take it as a scolding.

"Perhaps a daily stroll in the gardens will tone her muscles. We'd like her to be presented as part of the family," Aled answered. I exhaled shakily. "Her breasts are small compared to what I see as wide hips and stomach. Perhaps a healer could create a potion to grow them. Surely, once she and Tamlin are married, pregnancy will grow them."

"She is not yours to judge!"

I jolted in my seat, eyes shooting to my mother. Her reddened and swollen eyes were narrowed on Aled, teeth bared like a feral wolf destined to defend her pup. It amused me that she didn't find that strength when my father had his fingers inside of me.

"Odessa," my father warned, a hand on her wrist. To anyone else, it looked like a soothing touch, but I knew well that those fingers would be bruised into her skin.

"I can understand how a mother feels that her child is to be protected, but Lady, I hope you understand that your daughter is now my property. She is a member of the Spring Court, and I will look upon her as I wish," Aled snapped.

Exhaling slowly, I looked to him again. His thin muddied blonde hair was brushed back, exposing the freckles along his forehead. With a strong jaw outlined by a neatly trimmed beard and green eyes that rivaled the grassy knolls beyond the window, I could see how some could find him handsome. I did not, not when I knew the thoughts he had.

Alex's eyes met mine, a glimmer of pride in them. I was seen as a prize to him, which I found foolish. I was a piece on his chessboard in the game with my father, and with me, both Lord and Lady were in check.

"My wife does understand, Aled. She is having a difficult time parting with the girl. They have spent much time together, you see? Odessa has been training Freyja in her role as Lady," my father answered tightly.

"Ah, well I hope that the disobedience was not passed to the daughter."

I glanced to the oldest sons, Emyr and Dafid. Both had green eyes on me. Dafid's hair could be considered a brunette, though his freckles and eyes were the same as his father and brothers. Emyr had rich blonde hair just like Tamlin beside me, though his was cut short above the ears. Tamlin's grew long to his shoulders. Aled's silent wife, Carys, who stared at her husband's hands as he ate, had the same golden tone as Tamlin and Emyr.