fifty one - freyja

I didn't know what I expected. I followed Aled when he beckoned me, expecting to be led back to the dining room. Instead, he led me to the stairs. I kept my mask on, teeth clenched and chin lifted. My heart was pounding, though, and I could not get it to slow. The corridor to the rooms was dark, making it all the more terrifying.

"You will bathe and ready yourself. My wife will escort you to the room when finished," he announced, waving a hand to the bathing chamber. My throat bobbed as I hesitantly walked into the bathing chamber. Aled slammed the door behind me, making me jolt.

My eyes lowered to the steaming basin, a row of jars of soaps laid along the edge. There was a thin robe draped over the chair, and I knew it was my wardrobe for the night. I took my time undressing and bathing. I wanted to push this off for as long as I could. I genuinely did not understand why this was pushed by Aled. Tamlin and I were not married yet, nor did he have any reason to impregnate me.

When I finished bathing and the water ran cold, I dried myself and pulled the robe on. There was nothing to hide beneath it. My nipples, my core, everything was shown beneath the gossamer fabric. My wet hair hung over my shoulders as I looked myself over.

I was dead within my eyes. I saw no emotion, no light. I was gone. I ran a hand over my cheek, squeezing my eyes shut as I tried to recall the feeling of Azriel against me. I wanted him here, even if he had to watch. Just having him there would make it easier to handle.

A knock at the door made me jump, head turning. It swung open, no care if I had still been in the bath. Carys strolled in, a lazy smile on her lips and a wine glass in her hand. My jaw clenched, arms crossing over my chest.

"Very nice. I knew the robe would look nice with your skin," she commented, looking me over. I crossed my legs, too.

"What is the point of this?" I asked, trying to summon the remainder of my bravery. Carys narrowed her eyes at me, and the way she sashayed towards me, hand on her hip, I knew she was drunk.

Her long nails dug into my skin as she snatched my chin. I glared at her, hating the scent of wine on her breath.

"Your brother made it clear that Emyr and Dafid had spent time with you. I believe you forgot the biggest lesson, dear. You are a Lady, not a whore. Your thighs open for your husband only. This way, we ensure it is only Tamlin who enters you. Emyr and Dafid made it clear that they did not fuck you."

I stared at her, heart pounding. Whore. Yes, a whore who wishes to not be touched by greedy hands. "And you must witness it?"

Carys laughed, thumb tapping my chin. "No, no. It will be only the males. I am not one to gaze upon another male's body other than my husband."

"He is your son," I argued. Anger for Tamlin- for me- rose.

"And he has proven himself weak and unworthy," Carys spat. "Tamlin has no desire to be High Lord and refuses to prove himself. This is his punishment. You are his punishment. If he chooses to humiliate this family, then he will be humiliated back. I'm sorry that you've become a pawn, but it was the choice your father made when he offered you."

"Did he know what you would all do to me?" I asked through gritted teeth. Her head moved back as if in surprise.

"What we would do? Freyja, dear, this is not our doing. It is Tamlin who chooses to betray our family. Blame him. It is he who will be fucking you soon anyway."

"With your husband and son watching," I spat. She rose a brow, glancing between us at the robe I wore.

"I do not have to worry that my husband would rather you, if that is what you're implying."