forty three - freyja

When my parents left, I was alone in a house full of males and an emotionally blind female. Carys pressed her pouty lips to Aled's cheek and bounded to a stairwell that led to the High Lord's quarters. I was left in my stuffy gown, three pairs of green eyes on me, one aimed to the wooden floor.

My lips parted, a shaky breath stealing my chance to speak. Aled's mouth curved up into a grin, mirroring his two oldest sons'. Tamlin stared at the floor as if it would open up and swallow him.

"Well, the night is late. It is time for bed. Tomorrow, my wife will give you a tour of the grounds," Aled announced. I nodded, closing my mouth when I caught Emyr staring at it.

Aled turned, waving a hand to the servants. They scrambled to begin closing down the estate; shutting doors, killing flames, bringing out brooms and dustpans. Emyr and Dafid both elbowed their younger brother, chuckling.

"If you can't satisfy her, Tam, I could have my way," Dafid murmured, eyeing me. I swallowed, turning my eyes to the far corridor.

"Bring her to me first. I want to hear the sounds she makes," Emyr teased. The two males laughed with each other, Emyr slapping the back of Tamlin's head before they went off down the long corridor. I grasped my skirt with my shaking hands, praying Tamlin could not see them. My eyes fell to my slippers, praying he silently left me to find an empty bed.

My heart tumbled into my stomach when I heard his boots against the floor, an elbow out to me. I gazed at him through my lashes. He stared off at the corridor, throat working on a swallow. He didn't want this, either, I thought. Despite my trembling- which I knew I couldn't hide any longer- I tucked my arm into his and let him lead me.

He didn't speak to me as we walked down the darkened corridor, his brothers seeming to snuff out the sconces on their journeys to their rooms. I thought perhaps his room would've been one of the closest to the mouth, but Tamlin led me down to the farthest end. He turned, opening the door and pulling his arm from mine. I warily glanced at him as I slipped into the room.

It was a room I would expect a servant to have, not a High Lord's son. This room was nothing like Rhysand's. It was small and practically barren beyond the tiny bed and wardrobe. There was a small desk nestled beneath a window, no attached bathing chamber. That made my spirits fall even lower to know I'd have to leave this room in order to bathe. My eyes fell to my trunk beside the wardrobe, just on the corner of the green embroidered rug.

Tamlin cleared his throat, leaning his back against the door as he closed it. "I know you expected more. I apologize for the lack of exquisite-."

"It's okay," I whispered, interrupting him. Tamlin's eyes lifted to mine and I couldn't help but look him over. He was handsome, sure, but not breathtaking like another male who occupied my mind. His hair was shoulder length, thick strands waved. He wore a high-necked green jacket with golden threading, solid green pants. He looked strong, not nearly as meek as I would've assumed compared to his brothers. It made me curious why he was seen as the weakest. Perhaps his power had not manifested. He was still young, perhaps half a decade younger than I.

"The- uh- The bathing chamber is just two doors down on the left if you'd like to bathe."

I nodded, crossing my arms over my stomach and turning to my trunk. It was packed by servants because I couldn't bring myself to do it. There was also gowns I'd never seen in there that my mother had made. I felt embarrassed as I walked over and dropped down, opening the trunk. Maybe it was because I didn't know what my only belongings were.

I lifted a few folded gowns, shifting them to the side as I peered within. My heart stopped for the hundredth time tonight. My mother had made scandalous nightgowns for my sleepwear. Sheer and lacy, short and hiding absolutely nothing from my soon-to-be husband. I bit down on my lip, trying to force away the disgust as I snatched a sleeping gown up and slammed the trunk. I stood and turned, the fabric tucked against my stomach. Tamlin had stepped away from the door, pretending to be busy organizing the nightstand.