23. Stars are forever.

023‧₊˚ ୨୧ ˚₊

023
‧₊˚ ୨୧ ˚

Today, Ella was supposed to see Hershel. She wanted to see Glenn, not Hershel, but she was gonna go anyway. At least someone wanted to talk to her. She had no idea why he did, but Maggie insisted.

Rick came back without Carol yesterday. Ella was really confused. That was until he explained that Carol left to find more food and medicine for them. Ella was a bit happy because it meant Mika would talk to her as well as play cards with her.

Ella kicked her feet in the air as she drew a bunch of doodles in her notebook. The pages were filling up pretty quickly. The comic books Carl and Evelynn put down were still there. They had never left the spot.

A while later, Ella got up to go see Hershel. They only had talked one-on-one a few times, but nothing that serious. She was a bit nervous. Ella couldn't shake the feeling of thinking Glenn was dead, and that Hershel would tell her he didn't make it through the night.

And now she didn't know whether to step into that room or not. Though, she had to know. Was her favorite person right now dead? Ella exhaled deeply before opening the door to the visitation room.

Hershel wasn't behind the glass. He stood a couple of feet before Eleanor. His crutches in his arm, and his bushy white beard reminded Ella of Santa Claus.

"Uhm, you needed to see me?" Ella's voice was rather quiet and soft like it was her first time talking to him.

Hershel responded, "Yes. How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay... is Glenn?" She asked him even though she did not want to. Her stomach twisted into knots thinking of Glenn being dead. She felt sick.

"He's alive, but he isn't okay."

"What are you talking about?"

"He isn't feeling well, dear. The sickness is really affecting him. But not to worry, he's strong," Hershel explained. He was always calm, but Ella never understood how. Hershel was wise, and his tone was always certain. Whatever he says, you can believe it. Ella saw him as her grandfather, but of course, she wasn't going to say anything. She never had a good relationship with most of her family, especially her grandparents. So Hershel was the closest thing she ever had to one.

Ella frowned, "I don't want him to die."

"Neither do I. But as I said, he's strong. I think he'll be okay," Hershel smiled at the young girl, who he saw as his own. " When he's able to stand, you could see him. But for now, you sit tight and try not to get sick. I don't want you dying either."