like clockwork {König}

{mature; contains grape}

You knew it was only a matter of time before you could be killed.

By him.

Your loving husband, König.

He would be home soon; you knew. He made sure to come home at exactly 6pm. Like clockwork. Every day.

And, like clockwork, you would always put on the act that you cared for him.
That you loved him.
But you didn't.
You didn't want him to catch on, not yet anyway.

You just need to keep him off guard, keep him thinking you still love him.

Easy, right?

If only.

It was getting harder and harder. The longer you kept this ruse up, the deeper you dug your own grave you buried yourself into.

And one day, your little act will be the death of you.

As the clock hit 6pm, he walked through the door. He was home, just like clockwork.

He still looked the same; tall, dark, and handsome. But his demeanor had changed.

He seemed different somehow.

Almost as if he knew something that you didn't. You kept up your sweet little act, but you knew something was off.

"Welcome home, König." It took every muscle in your mouth to muster up a smile.

Almost.
Almost.
Almost.

You'll run away when he leaves to go to work. You'll run away somewhere far, far away. For now, you just have to survive the night.

With him.

"Y/n, my prinzessin. I'm home."

He spoke in his usual soft tone, but despite all the smoothness in his voice and his appearance, there was something wrong with him. His words seemed more forceful.

Perhaps it was your mind playing tricks on you, but everything about him felt different tonight.

Like he knew something he wasn't supposed to.

"How was...how was work?"

"Ah, boring. The same old, you know, ja y/n?"

"Of course."

No.
You didn't know.
How could you know what happened behind those cold eyes?

The eyes of a killer.

There was a silence that filled the room. You could feel a sudden chill and couldn't quite figure out why.

Was he thinking about killing you?

With a subtle flick, he pulled something out from his behind his belt.

A pistol.

He kept up his loving smile, though it no longer reached his eyes. He walked past you, straight to the kitchen counter all the while his pistol in his hand.

"Do you remember what today is, y/n?"

You said nothing as you just continued to watch him with wide, fearful eyes.

Of course you knew.
How could you not?

"I got something for you. When I saw it, I just knew it would look pretty on you."

Your breath caught in your throat. How you wanted to look away so badly. You wanted to run but couldn't move.

All you could do was hope that maybe you were wrong. Maybe he didn't know. Maybe all of this was just in your head and this would end well for you.