forbidden love pt 2 {König}

Weeks passed. You were fully healed, your wings back to their beautiful glory.

He was ordered to bring you back.
He was ordered to hand you over.
He had done his job, his mission.

'Nurse the girl back to health.'

But he loved you.

And no matter how many years he spent in the military, following orders, no matter how tightly he stuck to the rules and regulations, he couldn't. He wouldn't.

"Come on, we have to go." His hand tightly gripped yours.

He hid you away.
He broke every rule and regulation in the book as he kept you hidden from the higher ups.

He had fallen in love with you.
And he wasn't going to lose you.

"König, stop! I can't-I can't keep up with you!"

Your sweet, sweet voice trembling as the two of you ran through the forest.

They had found his place.
They had found you.
They had found him.

You felt his fingers tighten their grip on your own as he led you.

"We can do it, y/n. Just a little more."

You heard the voices.
The shouts.
The footsteps.

"We have to keep going. They found us."

"Who? König, who?!"

"The people I work for." His voice a whisper as he pulled you along after him. Your hand in his, your fingers gripped tightly together.

He couldn't let you go.
He wouldn't.

"I can't lose you, y/n. I just can't."

You had to be cautious.
Your footsteps had to be light, almost silent.

You hid in the shadows, holding your breaths as you two tried to stay quiet. The voices had stopped. König dared to hope he could breathe a sigh of relief.

A rustle of twigs and leaves.
And the voices started again.

"Where are they? They're hiding somewhere, spread out!"

"We have to move." He pulled you along with him, deeper into the forest. Farther. Faster.

Your wings began to open, the muscles expanding in your shoulder blades. You felt the familiar urge to soar over the treetops.

But you didn't.
How can you?
You couldn't leave König all behind.

"Almost there, liebe. Promise."

A quick flash of movement.
A glimpse of the metal barrel.
A sharp crack in the air.
A burning sensation on your back.

"Scheisse! Y/n!" His voice was loud, the shout tearing through the silence. "Come on!"

But your wings had been injured, torn by the bullet, bleeding into a dark crimson. You were on the ground, you leg twisted up beneath you.

"Come on! Get up!"

But you couldn't move. You leg was twisted in a way it shouldn't be twisted. You wings were broken.

But oh, it was all too late.
They had already surrounded the two of you.
Their rifles drawn at him.
At you.

One of them grabbed you by the collar, pulling you up to stand on your damaged leg. You screamed in agony, the pain tearing through whatever barrier of adrenaline and fear had been coursing through your veins.

"Lower your weapon, König. Or I will put a bullet into her pretty little head."

The undeniable feeling of the cold metal pressed against your head.

He had no choice but to drop the rifle and drop to his knees as they restrained him.

Dragged away from you as you were thrown over one of the men's shoulders.

Your once beautiful wings were now bent and broken, staining your wings crimson red.

You were back where you started.
Alone.
Locked up in a room on a remote base with no one to talk to, no one to love.

No König to touch.
No König to hold.
No König to stroke your hair, to tell you that everything was going to be okay.

Even if it wasn't.

They healed you over the next few days. But you weren't the same.

Every movement hurt.
Your wings were a mangled mess.
Your leg bandaged.

You were a prisoner again. A commodity.

And König? He was punished. Severely. They dragged you to his cell, forcing you to watch as they inflicted their punished onto him.

It was the only reason they let you see him.
They wanted you to see, to watch him suffer.

Escape was inevitable.

"This is what happens when you try to run away, y/n."

And you watched. You couldn't look away. Your wings fluttered slightly with each lash of the whip. Your eyes watered with each cut he was forced to endure.

A punishment for loving each other.

"Please, stop it! He's bleeding! He'll die!"

Your hysterical cries fell onto empty ears as they held you down, forcing you to watch.

You couldn't touch him.
You couldn't feel the touch of his hand.
You couldn't remember the smell of his skin as the smell of blood wafted into your nostrils.
You couldn't remember the the sound of his laugh.

"I won't do it again! Please! Please stop this!"

But now?
All you heard were his muffled cries and grunts as he struggled to keep himself quiet.
He didn't want you to hear him in pain.

"She's lost it. I told you. We should just put her back in her cell."

"No. Keep her still. They want her to watch."

You cried, you screamed, you shouted. But nothing you said mattered. No one listened. No one cared.

He was suffering.
Because he tried to help you escape.
Because he had fallen in love with you.

And now, he suffered.

All you could do was listen.
The cracks of the whip.
The shouts of pain.

His blood, splattered on the walls. Stained across your face. The metallic taste of it in your mouth.

"Do something! Please!"

They ignored you. They kept your head still as they forced you to watch.

Your heart breaking more and more with each cut from the whip, every crack of the leather against his skin.

Forced to watch the only man who cared about you suffer.

Forced to bear witness of what happened if you tried to escape again.

All because he had fallen in love with you.