failed attempt {Ghost}

An enigma, a mirage, the embodiment of the word 'beauty'.

Men drooled over you, women envied you.
Simon 'Ghost' Riley, assigned as your new bodyguard, was no different from them.

Assigned to you as a temporary bodyguard, he was the most disciplined out of all the men in his division. You were, after all, a temptation that no one could resist.

The stories, the rumors, he thought he would be the man who could resist you. The one who wouldn't waver to your looks or charm.

So he thought.

You glanced over at Ghost, his black skull mask covering his lower face, his cold eyes the only human trait visible.

Another day, another night where you were you were free rein to dazzle everyone around you. All but Ghost.
He was the man who was just and disciplined.
The man who was resistant to your charms.

So you thought.

"Everything alright, Ms. y/n?"

His cold eyes would warm for just a moment when you looked away.
His stoic demeaner would shift, if just for a second, when you smiled at him, barely noticeable.

"Yes. Just take me home, Ghost."

You didn't notice. How could you?
Ghost was, after all, a stoic character, a man of few words.
He hid his emotions too well.
You assumed he was tolerating you, making you even more curious to see his stoic demeanor crumble.

"Yes ma'am."

You made it your mission to break his resolve. To see those brown eyes of his turn to melted chocolate when he looked at you.

The drive back to the mansion was mostly silent, typical of Ghost. Not wanting to push him just yet, you let him drive in silence.

You waited until you arrived at your mansion, as he walked with you to the door before you began to speak.

"Would you join me for a glass of wine, Ghost?"

Ghost, his face a mask, turned to look at you, his head cocked to a mild degree. He was silent, as always, before he finally spoke.

"If you need me to, I will. It's within my duties."

"Perfect." You smiled at him, your doe eyes giving him a 'come hither look' that had melted the hearts of men who have stood stronger.

He followed you through the hallways, his footsteps precise and quiet as a cat.

"Any preferences?" You asked, your heels tap-tap-tapping on the marble floor. Your movements graceful, like a dancer that knew only two motions; a soft step and a sharp pivot.

"Anything would do, ma'am."

"Chardonnay it is." You led him to your office, pulling out the bottle and two glasses.

Ghost, having followed you into the room, stood stiffly, his head cocked forward again, his hands clasped behind his back.

Typical.

He was silent for a moment as he stared at you. "Do you always drink late at night, ma'am?" He asked.

"Only on rare occasions." You said over your shoulder. Your back was to him as you poured the two glasses of wine, slipping a certain pill into his before it dissolved into the burgundy liquid.

Ghost was a disciplined man, yes, but he was still a man at the end of the day. He just needed a little...boost, that was all.

"Do you consider this to be a rare occasion?"

"More or less."

Ghost took the glass, his eyes never breaking contact with yours. "Cheers." He titled his head, his voice carrying a hint of...something.

He slipped his mask over his nose, bringing the glass to his mouth as he drank from it, the liquid quickly disappearing.

"Huh."

"Something the matter, Ghost?"

"I'll be damned."

His eyes, as always, remained locked on yours, a smile curving at his lips—

Oh.

Ghost was faster than you thought.
Faster than he appeared.

Your wrists were squeezed as your body was pressed against the hard mahogany desk, his fingers gripping you tightly.

"I didn't think you had it in you, ma'am." His voice laced with humor, a grin on his lips.

Confusion, and amusement crossed your expression ever so briefly.
Was the pill not effective?
It couldn't be.
It had worked before.

So why hadn't it worked on him?

"Had what exactly?" You batted your lashes at him, attempting to feign an innocent look on your face.

Ghost chuckled as he tilted his head to the side. "You don't know." He said in mock confusion as he moved slightly, still pinning you against the desk with his large hand.

"You're not as innocent as you make yourself out to be..."

His face was inches from your own.
Closer than he had been allowed before.
Close enough to see that his cheeks were a slight pink.   "...y/n."

"You'd have to be more specific, Ghost."

"Playing dumb, eh?"

The pill was effective.
It worked.
Except it had only worked less faster than you had hoped.

"Attempting to poison me, your bloody bodyguard," he whispered, his lips barely a hairs width away."Quite low, even for a woman like you."

"I didn't poison you."

"That so?"

"I was only curious to see what you were like. Every man has his weakness. Even you, Ghost."

"And you thought some aphrodisiac pill would do the job?"

"You know what kind of pill it was?"

His grip on your wrists tightened slightly, though he didn't notice it himself as he smiled.

"Course I do. But I don't need a fucking pill to know that I want you. I don't need a fucking pill to help me act upon my own feelings, y/n."

"...what?"

He hid it too well.
Oh, he certainly did.
The glances, the subtle looks, they were not accidental.

He had been in love with you for months, his stoic demeanor was a facade, an act he put on for you so you wouldn't suspect it.

"I'm a man of discipline. But for you, y/n, any day." He said calmly as his free hand opened one of your drawers, pulling out your bottle of aphrodisiac pills.

"Then what do you plan to do with those?"

Ghost smirked, his voice holding mock offense as he looked at you.
"Well, you attempted to drug me."
The smirk turned into a smile, as he opened the lid to the bottle of pills.

"We can't let that go unpunished, now can we?"