forbidden love pt 3 final {König}

They let you be with him as he hung from the ceiling. The door locked to the room. The tangible smell of blood and sweat filled your nose.

"König? König, it's me. I'm here."

You voice a mere whisper as your shaky hands cupped his bloody face. His back wracked with pain and open flesh, blood streaking down as he still hung from the ceiling.

And all you could do was watch him suffer.

His eyes met yours. He was in agony, but he was still able to produce a smile when he saw your face.

"Liebe," he mumbled. "I... I missed you..."

His head tilted down, the blood dripping down his face. The pain in his eyes. The agony in his gaze as he saw your broken wings, the pain in your own eyes as you caressed his face, not knowing if you ever would do so again.

He was you only solace in this hell. On this crooked earth.

"Everything will be okay. I-I'll think of something."

A lie you couldn't even manage to spit out.

He smiled at you, even in his agony. Even when he was in so much pain.

He was a mess of blood and sweat and tears, but he continued to smile as much as he could.

"Don't worry, y/n...I'm okay."

A lie to match your own. But what could you do in that moment but hold onto your love, and cling to his words? They were all you had left.

You wanted to shout at him. He shouldn't have tried to help you escape. Because now he was suffering. Because of you.

Your hands shook, your wings folded behind you as you touched his face. His voice was faint, his tears mixing with the blood on his face.

"König, I..." He looked at you, with all the love he held for you in his eyes.

He smiled weakly. You couldn't imagine how he was managing to do that through all the pain.

"Why did you do it? Did you think they wouldn't punish you? Did you think we would get away with it?"

You wanted to yell at him.
But you couldn't.
You didn't dare.

His words were gentle, even when his voice was a faint crack.

"Because I fell for you, y/n...I love you more than anything in the world. I couldn't let them hurt you."

You felt guilty. None of this was his fault. You were the one who made him risk it. You made him fall in love with you.

You were the one who caused him to suffer.

Your moment was short lived. The men came back, dragging you away from his weak body as he hung there.

They kept you away as they tended to him. As he recovered.

Your heart broke at the sound of the door closing and sealing you away from the love of your life.

Alone again. In that cold, harsh cell. A cell with no light, no freedom, no love.
Only you and the darkness in your mind.

You screamed, you cried. You begged for them to let you back with him.

But they didn't listen. You were stuck in that tiny cell, your wings folded behind you, alone with your thoughts.

For days and weeks and months, you were alone, with only your thoughts for comfort, his words running through your head.

The door finally opened one day.
And there he stood.

König.

But it wasn't your König. No. They took him and broke him, erased any memories he held of you. Now, he was a cold and unemotional man.

They had even made sure to keep him as your caretaker. A cruel punishment to you. A reminder of what you two attempted to accomplish.

You saw him. You saw the cold stare on his face, the emptiness in his eyes. You recognized his features, but the look on his face did not recognize you.

He looked at you like he had never seen you before. Like you were just another experiment. Another number they could cross off their log.

He spoke to you with cold detachment, as if you were nothing to him.

"Y/n."

All you could do was stare at the hollow shell of the man you loved.

He was no longer himself.
Broken. Heartless. Unfeeling.
And you were the cause.

"...that's me."

"Let's go."

"...to where?"

He didn't respond. He just stood there. Staring at you with an expressionless countenance. He did not care for your tears. He did not care for your pain.

If it weren't for those eyes that you had once loved, you wouldn't have recognized him.

"They're waiting for you." Was all he said as he grabbed your arm and led you down the never ending halls.

You looked at him as he dragged you along, the man you had once loved.

It was all your fault.

All you wanted to do was touch him. Feel his skin. Run your fingers along his hair. Not this new, harsh man. Not those cold, unfeeling eyes.

But you couldn't. He would look at you, and see nothing.

And so it was that you were back where you began. On that cold, metal table with only your screams to accompany you.

Every breath you took was a reminder of the love you two once shared. A forbidden love.

Every second you spent with him was like being sentenced to a lifetime of torture. Watching him.

Reminding you of what you had lost.
Who you lost.