Living in absolute fear

***

He grabbed my face with one hand, and out of reflex I snapped my face away with a gasp. I heard shuffling, and his other hand grasped the other side of my face with force. He pulled my face back over to look at him, and as our eyes met- he smiled. Not a soft smile, a smile you would see on somebody with ill intentions. The way his smile spilled from his face, and how his words poured from his throat made me doubt anything I had ever heard. It was indescribable.

"Why'd you lie? Did you not hear what I said?" He vaguely shook my face."I just want to know your name- that's all." He spat, his teeth gritted.

He had quite the temper- I could already tell. He was short circuited, I knew I had to be careful with what I said. I opened my mouth to speak, watching the anticipation flicker in his eyes. My head was still crushed against the wall, his forearm pressing against my collarbone and his hand gripping one side of my face. His fingers had a warmth to them, but as his thumb touched my jaw I could only shiver. His skin left a snail trail of goosebumps and discomfort on mine, I cringed away as I felt his painted nail caress me.

"C'mon, it can be a whisper." He leaned in as he murmured to me, and he pulled my face closer to his. He angled his ear by my mouth, using his hand to cover it so he could hear.

"Angelina." I whispered, my voice barely above nothing. It broke, and you could hear as it shook in my throat.

I watched his lips curl up into a smile as he leaned away. He looked at me, thoughts bubbling behind his eyes.

"And what're you doing here so late at night? All alone too." He put a hand on his hip as he stood up.

What was I doing here? Why did I seriously need gas tonight? I couldn't have waited or something? I made eye contact with the man with the braided hair. He had the tip of his thumb in his mouth, the corners just barely curling up enough to make a smug grin. He was thinking about something, but I didn't know what.

"I just needed gas." I said, still looking at the other.

"Look at me while I speak to you." He spat. I turned back to look at him, my knuckles tight around eachother.

"Gas you say.. You can't get home?" He smiled.

"I can, I live up the stree-" I paused, instantly shutting my mouth.

Reverse psychology, he was smart. I've used that on people... asking them a question for confirmation. Saying i couldn't get home so I could tell him where I lived..

"Apartments A?" He smiled wider, I could see his teeth.

I swallowed my response, unanswering. I uncoiled my knees so my feet touched the floor.

"You know.." He bent down, closer again. "You'd be a lot safer if I helped you home.. hm?" He raised an eyebrow as he took my wrist in his hand.

I looked down at his hand trapping me, my heart accelerating as he pulled me through the stall door and past the others. I looked up at the man who looked like him, the one with the braids. They must've been brothers. One has glasses with short, dirty blonde hair, and the last had medium length brown hair, and was basically sound asleep on the wall. The man with cornrows gave him a shove, startling him awake. They murmured something to eachother, and followed as he dragged me out the bathroom door. I gripped onto my purse as he pulled me away.

Through the aisles that felt like unmarked kilometers, and out the front door.

"Please, just let me go home." I said lowly as I looked around; looking for help.

"That's what I'm doing! Except, I'm gonna follow you. Just to make sure you're safe." I looked back up at him, my skin cold as I did so. He looked behind me, nodding a bit. I tried to turn around to look, but he yanked me more.

"Please, just go." I finished, his gaze chiseling through mine.

He didn't respond, all he did was start to drag me across the street.

"I can walk!" I shouted, trying to resist his pull.

"Oh yeah?" He slowed his pace.

"It's right up there, just let me walk." I plead with him, I would've gotten on my knees if it meant he'd let me off on my own.

He looked up the street at the shining, brick building I was staying in. I saw the way he thought, how he played with his tongue ring and picked at his nails.

"I like the way 'Angelina' sounds coming out of my mouth." He looked back at me, his grip ever so slightly enhancing. "I'll make sure to see you again. You can count on that." His smile went from smug, to intense. Almost threatening. He leaned down so his lips were pressed to my ear. His breath was sinister, the way he tightly held my wrist a bit haunting. "You'll see me again, I promise." He whispered into my ear.

His words made my heart drop. I didn't exactly know what he meant, but I also did. I watched as he walked away, the other two leading behind him. His brother however, out of sight. I gasped, my breaths for air turning more rapid. At this point. I didn't care about the gas. I turned, and sprinted up the sidewalk as the tears sprayed out of my eyes.

+++

Arriving back at the apartment doors, I was relieved to be 'home'. My ears were ringing as I stepped in, my eyes half closed. I opened my eyes more, audibly shocked as I saw his brother standing talking to Lukas in the lobby. On his neck behind his braids, I saw the same T shaped scar. Were they all together?

Making no noise, I went down the hallway trying to get to the elevator without being noticed. I failed though. As the door opened it dinged, causing them both to look at me. Lukas stayed behind the counter, the other started towards me. The elevator closed before he could reach me. As soon as the door opened, I bolted from my room. My hands shook as tears ran down my face. I was so panicked I could barely make the key fit into the hole. I jammed it in, and twisted it making the door open. I slammed it shut and locked it, just as the elevator opened letting him exit into the hallway. I pressed my body against the door, panting as I heard him stop down the halls mumbling something in German. His voice was different though.. it didn't have the same purr to it. I walked further into my room, taking off my purse and jacket as I cried. My cries turned from quiet to hysterical. I was scared, and after only a few hours of being here I already felt like I wasn't safe in my own home. I felt like I had to live in fear now. I took my shoes off, and prepared for bed as I tried to wipe the tears away.

+++

As I lay down, I think about the words he said to me. 'You'll see me again'. What did he mean? He already had me twisted after only an hour.

I hope he only said that to scare me.

***