Posing for the Press

***

He dragged me across the damp street to his car, the cheers and rattling of behind the metal fence growing louder and more obnoxious as he opened the door.

"It's starting!" Someone yelled, her voice shrill.

I looked up at bill, his face was bright with enthusiasm. He loved the attention, he fed off of it. His usually cold eyes were wide and bright, his skin glowing. He pulled the sleek black door all the way open, and took me by the waist. He gently pushed me in, and slid in next to me. The cries of the crowed were cut off to a silence as he closed the door behind us.

"I don't wanna do this." I uttered, wiggling the knob next to me frantically.

"Cry about it." He said, leaning over to aggressively tear my hands from the door.

I groaned at the sudden pull, the strain in my bones under his fingers increasing as I tried to move. His actions were viscous. I looked back up at him, noticing the excitement in his eyes replaced by anger.

"Tragic you can't handle being in a car.. would you rather be under it?" He threatened. "Either behave or there'll be a bullet in your mouth." He threw my hands down, and wrapped one of his around the wheel, the other around the clutch. He rolled down the window as Tom jogged over and leaned in.

"Ready?" Tom asked, his eyes flaring with excitement. He glanced over to me, his tongue grazing the piercing on his lip.

"Hell yeah, get yours started." Bill smiled and Tom nudged his shoulder. He jogged back over to his car on the other side of the street. He slid Inside his deep red car, and started the ignition.

Bill revved the engine slightly, and pulled up the car next to Tom. I tried to blocked out the shrill screams of the hyped crowed, trying to forget about what was happening. I loved speed, and I loved cars, but I hated Bill. I didn't trust him, especially behind the wheel. I watched as a small woman was pulled from the crowd, her screams growing louder with excitement and shock. She was given a gun, and lead between the cars by an unimpressed security guard. He talked to her, quickly explaining something while pouting at the gun. I didn't know what was going on, and I didn't really want to. She was smiling as she twirled the gun in her hands. The guard gave her a smile and a wink, and slowly walked away. She turned around to face the front of the cars, and angled the gun up in the air with a cock of the barrel.

"Ready!" She cried, her voice high with anticipation.

"Set!" She hovered her finger over the trigger as she pointed it to the sky. Bill shifted, his foot ready to press on the gas as he hands wrapped around the clutch and the wheel. He smiled, his eyes dark as they focused on the road. I watched him, not knowing what to expect.

"Go!" She screamed, her squeals exiled by the explosion of the gun In her small hands.

Bill jerked the clutch back, and slammed on the gas. Tom took off first, but once the car got going we were far past him. Bill smiled, his expression devilish as I held onto my seat for dear life. The seatbelts were cut out of the walls, and there wasn't anything for me to hold onto. Instinctively I took his arm in my hand, tightening as my heart accelerated with the car. The speedometer easily went from 60mph, to 100, soon hitting 140. Bill bit his bottom lip as he yanked the clutch back and sharply turned the corner. The wheels screeched against the wet cement, and my eyes widened as we quickly approached the top of the street. I forgot we were in a hellcat, I was too distracted by the thousands of people lining up the sidewalks, Cheering their names. I could hear the roar of everyone, even through the windows and the blare of the engine.

"Pretty cool, huh?" Bill broke the silence, his voice quick. I could hear how out of breath he was, his eyes wide as he took in the attention.

"Uh huh.." I murmured, too hypnotized by the lights and people to remember where I was, who I was, and who I was with. My hand was still gripping his bare forearm, and I could feel his pulse gradually speed up with the car.

The people turned into blurry figures as the car sped through the slim alleys, back around the corner. Tom was right next to us, just barely keeping up.

"Bitchass." Bill slyly said, pressing on the gas and he sharply turned the car. He yanked on the clutch, and drifted into the street we started it. The car swiftly turned so we slid to face the front of toms car. We passed the line made in the road before Tom, declaring bill the winner.

I was out of breath, so much just happened. My back was glued to my seat, and my hand was locked around bills arm. He looked at me, his narrow eyes glimmering with satisfaction.

"You liked it." He confronted. I realized I did I like it, in fact I loved it. But I wouldn't admit that to him, not yet.

I ripped my hand off of him arm, and slumped back in my seat away from him.

"No I didn't." I demanded, it was so obviously a lie.

"So you loved it?" He teased, slowly leaning closer to me over the clutch.

I looked at him, thankful he was interrupted by his door opening. Tom was fuming, the veins in his neck bulging and coded with sweat.

"You whore." Tom snapped, pulling Bill out of the seat.

They both laughed, and stood there. Bill raised his arms into the air, reviling in the cloud of applause and affection. The crowd was crying his name, the screams and applause roaring through the road. Music blared from obnoxiously big speakers, the song barely auditable through the sound of the audience. The metal gate was unlocked, letting them swarm through to him. I quickly shut the door, isolating myself in the dark car as Tom and Bill were swallowed by hundreds of people flooding through the road. I didn't realize how famous they were, I guess I just assumed they weren't very popular because I didn't learn about them until recently.

I closed my eyes, and leaned my head against the warm, leather headrest with a sigh. I wish Bill wasn't Bill, or I would feel safe enough to let myself have fun. I was rudely interrupted by my door being torn open, and ripped from the car. I felt his familiar hands on my body, too quick to let me react. He pulled me close to him as Tom came up behind me, putting his hand on my shoulder blade. I turned to look at him slightly, eyeing him as he smugly looked at the crowed. I hadn't noticed them be trapped back behind the fence, dozens of armed men swarming them back in. I was distracted, so I didn't notice to cameras flashing in my face until it was too late. I cringed back, hitting my head against bills chest.

"Ugh!" I yelled, covering my eyes. "What the hell?" I rubbed them as I heard Tom lowly laugh.

"Pose for the press, Angie, they're watching you." Bill murmured down into my ear.

"What?" I whispered, slightly opening my eyes to look. People were rushing to get through the closed gate, cameras flashing bright in their hands. There were dozens of them, all of them clicking pictures. I heard the click and flash over and over again, countless pictures and videos taken of us just standing there behind Bills sexy hellcat.

I swallowed, my throat tight as white flickered in my eyes.

***