Heartbreak Hotel

(Bill's POV)

***

I adjusted myself in my seat, growing anxious. I tapped my hand against the table, listening to silence as I looked at my bad hand of cards.

I sighed, looking up at Gustav as he tapped his foot along with me. He always knew when I had a bad hand, nobody ever beat him.

"Check." I broke the silence, I couldn't bet yet- not with this shit row of cards.

I slowly sunk in my seat, peering next to me at Tom. I knew what the son of a bitch did; what he said to Angelina. But he was my brother, he's tried to steal my girls before. We always settled it over an easy poker game- classic Texas hold 'em. Forgive and forget, and I'm positive that fat lip I left him would be burned into his memory as a reminder for long enough.

He looked over at me, we always secretly played as a duo. I furrowed my eye brows, looking down to my cards.

"All in." He said, sliding in his racks.

He slowly looked over at me, smiling a tad. He had a good hand, finally.

Gustav puffed his lips, blowing out. He looked over at Georg as he tilted his cards down.

"I'm out." Georg said, leaving only Gustav.

Gustav slid his rack in, eyes slim. Tom's quiet snickers eased into an obnoxious laugh as he flipped his cards.

"Royal flush!" He declared, the highest hand you could get.  "Pass those chips." Tom smiled, harnessing them all into his embrace.

"Took long enou-" He started, only to be cut off by a shrill scream.

I tensed in my seat, hearing my name echo through the sudden cries. I pushed out of my seat, almost falling backwards and through the wooden door. Our lot was huge, they could've came from anywhere.

Tom, Gustav and Georg came out from beyond me just as fast as I did, shooting up the stairs. I ran around the corner, making sure Katie was still locked in her room. She was still there, so what could've happened? My heart skipped a beat, sinking into my stomach as all of the possibilities ran throughout my mind. I ran up the stairs, my hands gripping the rails as I became unsteady.

"Tom?" I yelled. "Anyone? Anything, Gustav?" I shouted out, hitting the top step.

"Bill?" Someone cried out from down the hall, her voice gruesome with pain.

"Kandy?" I murmured to myself, confused.

My jog down the hall turned into a sprint, the reek of iron growing stronger and stronger. It smelled shallow, like an open organ.

Nearing the open door, my heart began to pull apart as the shadow became clearer. In the doorway was blood, actively pooling out into the hall. My eyes widened, dried with the empty breeze coming from the rusted vent above me. I turned slowly, my gaze landing on the soft, tan hands of Kandy as they began to pull a glass dagger from the chest of my dear, dear Angelina. I closed my parted lips, my eyes growing moist with the strange tears feeding from the corners. I felt a sharp whine in my chest, something nobody had ever made me feel. Like I was losing the stitches that held my wounds shut. Like I was losing her.

"What did you do." I whispered, getting to my knees, tears falling over my manicured eyelashes, onto Angelina's pale- bleeding face.

Kandy's hands were covered in blood, and so were my pants as she began to rip my phone from my pocket. She flipped it open, dialing three digits in a fit of tears. My hands- shaking- slid under Angie's limp back, pulling her on top of me. Her eyes were open, yet emotionless, and empty. Her usually blue eyes- bluer than the sea, as blue as slow jazz.. bluer than the sky on a cloudless spring morning, dusted with the flying petals of daffodils and blossoms now grayer and just as dim as the eye of a hurricane.