Admirer

***

I sat in the empty, bland room waiting to hear the footsteps of the others, letting me know of their presence and the morning. I sighed, picking at my fingernails as I watched the rosy sky through the slim eye of a window at the top of the wall above my scrawny bed. I was blocked, I didn't know really what to do in the meantime. I didn't trust my surroundings enough to sleep, but I didn't want to sit here for hours alone with my thoughts. I looked on the dusty floor of the dark room, noticing the dark, brown stains that infiltrated the wood. I saw scratchmarks, tallys on the lower part of the walls. I guess I wasn't the first one to be thrown in here.

I jumped at the sound of three solemn knocks on the door.

"Angelina?" It was a female voice, one that I didn't expect to hear.

"Katie?" I answered, standing up.

I rushed over to the door, and shook the locked handle. I didn't realize I wanted to see her until I heard her say my name, she was just the person I wanted to be with right now.

I heard the smile in her voice as she continued to speak.

"Are you okay?" Her voice was rushed, and relived as her voice neared me through the door.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine." I grinned.

I pressed the side of my head against the door so I could hear her soft voice better.

"Are you?" I paused, focusing on her answer.

"As good as I can be." She answered through the door.

I sighed. I wanted to see her, I only felt really safe in her presence. I felt a bit betrayed by Kandy... I don't know why. I think it was because of the way she enjoyed how Bill treats her, it's like she acts out just to be punished by him. The look in her eyes as he tapped the ash into her mouth made me a little sick... she looked like she was in love with him. In love with the way he treats us.

"When will they let me out?" I whispered, looking down at the handle in my hand.

I heart her exhale shakily, tracing her fingertips on the door. "I don't know.. but I heard them talking about you. I would think later this morning; it's quite early now."

I nodded, letting her voice sink into my skin. "What time is it?" I asked, glancing over to the faint shine of the sun through the window.

"Oh, 5:57." She took a breath. "They'll be up in a few, I should get back to my room." She hushed apologetically.

"Wait, what did they give you yesterday?"

"What?" She asked, approaching the door again.

"Bill..." I cringed as I said his name, remembering the circumstance. "He told Tom to get the psychedelics, and then he took you away- why? What did he give you?" I asked, my voice rushed. I had been dying to know, I was scared they were gonna kill her.

"Oh.." she answered, deep in thought. "They sedated me with LSD." She murmured.

"But why?" I pressed. Maybe she didn't even know herself.

"To.. I don't know. I think to.. to like turn off my brain. Get me to sleep." She explained. I heard her voice trail off, soon becoming silence. "Im sorry." She interrupted herself.

"What?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowing at her apology. "Why?"

She sighed, a long breath through the door. "It was staged."

My heart clenched. "What was staged?" I held my breath.

"Bill gave me a gun, and told me to kill him." She paused. I heard as her nails picked some of the paint off of the door, her words long and exaggerated.