Chapter Seventeen

TUESDAY

"Mrs.Cass, if B over C divided by 7 with the square root of A, what does D equal?" Mrs.S asks me, snapping me out of my thoughts. All I could think about was how pissed I was at Michael and Calum for dumping me in Ashton's pool yesterday. All we did was eat, watch movies and have a water balloon fight.

"Does it look like I know the answer?!" I exclaim, looking around the classroom.

"Well, you did learn this last week-"

"Dude, I wasn't really here last week due to the fact that I spent most my time at home crying because my mom is dying of brain cancer, three tumors in her head. And on top of that my dad won't get out of his room and go to work so I have to work and pay the bills and take care of my little brother. So, I don't think that trying to answer a question about something I didn't even learn about is all that important at the moment." I rant, everyone in the classroom looking at me. Mrs.S face visibility goes white, as if she completely forgot about that.

"Uh, right, well, Rey, do you know the answer?" She nervously asks, everyone turning to face her.

"36?"

"Correct, next question" Mrs.S moves on. The rest of the Period slowly went on, Mrs.S not even bothering to call on me if I didn't raise my hand to answer a question. Every class after that consists of me zoning out, looking out the window. Lunch rolled around, and I decided to sneak out to this little abandoned area next to the school. It had a small opening where there was a view of the lake, some blankets scattered around. I sat down on one of the blankets, staring at the lake. I kept a spare guitar there, hidden away from anyone who knew about this area too. I walked over to a hollowed out tree, grabbing my guitar. I sighed, thinking for a minute. Once I made up my mind, I was about to sing until-

"Hey skittles, whatcha doing here?" I hear Calum ask.

"Now your calling my skittles?" I face all four boys, taking a set next to me.

"Best believe it skittles" Michael smirked.

"Anyways, I was about to sing a song, but I don't know now." I dramatically sigh.

"Oh come on, sing for us! Luke never shuts up about how great of a sing-" Ashton gets cut off by Luke smacking the back of his head.

"Shut up mate!"

"No no, Ash, please, continue" I smirk, Luke growing more and more uncomfortable.

"I was saying that Luke never shuts up about how great of a singer/songwriter you are after you same to him an original song, safety sound?"

"Safe and sound" I corrected. "Why thank you Luke for never shuts g up about how great I am" I giggle, making his cheeks grow a deep shade of red.

"On that note,then You must sing for us to see if Luke is right" Calum says.

"Fine, ok, so the title of this song is called 'Mean'" I begin, and start to sing.

"You, with your words like knives
And swords and weapons that you use against me
You have knocked me off my feet again
Got me feeling like a nothing
You, with your voice like nails on a chalkboard
Calling me out when I'm wounded
You, picking on the weaker man

Well you can take me down with just one single blow
But you don't know, what you don't know...

Someday I'll be living in a big ole city
And all you're ever gonna be is mean
Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me
And all you're ever gonna be is mean
Why you gotta be so mean?

You, with your switching sides
And your wildfire lies and your humiliation
You have pointed out my flaws again
As if I don't already see them
I walk with my head down
Trying to block you out 'cause I'll never impress you
I just wanna feel okay again

I bet you got pushed around
Somebody made you cold
But the cycle ends right now
'Cause you can't lead me down that road
And you don't know, what you don't know...

Someday I'll be living in a big ole city
And all you're ever gonna be is mean
Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me
And all you're ever gonna be is mean
Why you gotta be so mean?

And I can see you years from now in a bar
Talking over a football game
With that same big loud opinion
But nobody's listening
Washed up and ranting about the same old bitter things
Drunk and grumbling on about how I can't sing
But all you are is mean

All you are is mean
And a liar, and pathetic, and alone in life
And mean, and mean, and mean, and mean

But someday I'll be living in a big ole city
And all you're ever gonna be is mean, yeah
Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me
And all you're ever gonna be is mean
Why you gotta be so?...

Someday I'll be living in a big ole city (Why you gotta be so?...)
And all you're ever gonna be is mean (Why you gotta be so?...)
Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me (Why you gotta be so?...)
And all you're ever gonna be is mean
Why you gotta be so mean?" I finish, looking back at the boys.

"So, am I as good as Luke claims I am?" I question.

"Yeah!" They all say in unison.

"Nice to know, now lunch is going to end soon, so let's get going" I chuckle, getting up and heading to my next class. The rest of the day drags on, and next thing I know I'm walking int through the doors of my own house. I don't even recognize it anymore, everything thrown on the floor, empty beer bottles everywhere. I see as JayJay comes running from around the corner and into my arms, crying.

"Shhhh, shhhhh, its ok, its ok." I say, slowly sinking to the floor, stroking his hair. I look at him, his face bright red and snot dripping from his nose.

"He h-hit m-me" He sobs into my chest.

"He what?" I angrily ask.

"H-he h-hit m-m-me" He hiccups. How fucking dare he hit him!

"Jason, I want you to take my phone, run out side and call Nana to come pick you up" I inform him, taking out my my phone and giving it to him.

"W-what about y-you?"

"Don't worry about me, now go!" I shove him out the door, slamming it shut. I walk around the house, looking for him. I find him drinking in his room.

"How fucking dare you even think about laying a hand on Jason!" I scream, shoving him once he stood up.

"Well maybe if he stopped being a useless little fucker like you, I wouldn't have hit him!" He screams back, on a drinker rage. His face is pale and green,his eyes blood shot red and puffy.

"Don't even" I threat through gritted teeth.

"Why would I take commands from a murder" He hisses, making my face fall, tears pooling in my eyes,

"Not so tuff now, huh?" He smirks in victory.

"Don't bring that up, you know I didn't do it" My voice cracks. I close my eyes, preventing me from crying.

"Yeah you did you little slut, you killed her!" He runs over to me, punching me in the stomach. I topple over in pain, clutching my stomach over the area where he punched me. He laughs, walking out of the room. I soon hear a car pull out of the driveway. I stumble my way upstairs and into my room. I decided to not go to school tomorrow, but instead visit mom. I take a quick shower before changing and crawling into bed, crying myself to sleep.