XII

"Once upon a time, when I was a teenager," Grandmama slowly begins

"Once upon a time, when I was a teenager," Grandmama slowly begins. "There were Vampires."

Yona's eyes widen. Vampires? It surprised her how Grandmama wanted to focus her story on that. She decides to remain silent.

"Humans and Vampires lived together, however not in peace. Vampires were seen as dangerous to Humans — There were a lot of cases where we'd harm each other. Every November 30 of the year was the Night of the Vampires, and that meant Humans had to lock themselves at home in order to be safe. That meant no school which was great for my friend group and I."

Grandmama treasured her youth and would get emotional when asked about it. It was evident in how she always had her high school name-tag on her nightstand: Jang Wonyoung.

Grandmama was a beauty queen in her youth, and Yona could tell, even if all the wrinkles were hiding it. Grandmama had the perfect nose, the perfect height, the glossiest lips, and more. In fact, she looked majestic for her age.

"Who was in your friend group?" For the first time in many years, Grandmama's blind eyes flutter. The last time Yona had asked about her friendships, all she said was that they were all dead and that she was the only one alive. Heartbreaking, yes?

"Seol Yoonah, but we called her Sullyoon, Kim Minji, and Choi Danah." I swear I've heard that last name before, Yona thought to herself. "We did everything together. I could also argue that we were the prettiest '04 youth in our high school.

We didn't have all the technology we have today, but we lived life to the fullest. I was Class President for all my years of high school. All my friends and I were nerds, but of course, we did break some rules. I remember we drank underaged at one point. Everything was great until we had a realization about Vampires on our last year of high school.

I, personally, at the time didn't know anything about Vampires because some people thought they weren't real. Sullyoon was always a Vampire nerd. And Minji... she was a Vampire."

When Grandmama says the last part, she pauses to take a breath. It was as if mentioning it made her relive some traumatic events. Yona chokes on her saliva, "What?!"

"Yes, my dear," her voice was graceful yet endearing. "She spent all her life pretending to be one of us. Apparently she hated being a Vampire, but still. I honestly wanted to berate her for lying for so long, but then the Human and Vampire bond were cut, so I never was able to approach her for it."

The last sentence piques Yona's interest, but she had a greater interest in a different aspect of her great grandmother's story. "What about Danah?"

"Danah, well, she fell in love with a Vampire."

"That's gross." Yona never thought that the Vampires truly existed, but now that her grandmother was basically confirming it, she was convinced.

"Danah's lover shared the same case as Minji, though. They both pretended to be Humans. Actually, the reason the reason the Vampires disappeared from the Human realm was because of Danah."